DIY Thodio iBox
Feb 24, 2011 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

duckiedeity

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy all.  Is anyone at all familiar with the Thodio iBox?  pictures and info here:  http://www.thodio.nl/english/products/ibox

it's a brilliant looking little portable amp/stereo but it's really expensive.  my friend told me about it and said he wants one but can't afford to buy an authentic one, so he's thinking about building one.  he says the wooden box shouldn't be a problem because his dad has a work shop, but he doesn't know anything about the electronics or anything like that.  he asked me for help because i've done just a little bit of DIY audio before, but i've never built a speaker so i don't know where to start. 

anyway.. does anyone know what electronic parts this device uses, or does anyone know a way i could build a similar two midrange woofer and subwoofer amp/stereo with similar parts?  i'm basically completely new to DIY speakers so like i said i really don't know where to start.. i don't even know if the questions i'm asking are the right ones... basically if i wanted to recreate this device, what parts would i need to get?  if i can't get the exact parts, what parts would i need in order to build a very similar device?  if anyone has any insight.. please share.  there are some product specs below if it might help.  thanks..

http://www.thodio.nl/thodio_product_specifications.pdf

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 3
While I think this complies with the forum rules (cloning? copyrighted material?) I think it'll be impossible to recreate said speaker without purchasing basically because you do not know what drivers the speaker is using (it's not in the spec sheet).  Anyways, if you're interested in building speakers, there are several promising speaker designs that you can use, I believe diyaudio is more speaker orientated compared to headfi-but you can definitely find a project or two that will be both in budget and good-sounding.

In general I think it would probably be better to ask for a speaker project recommendation (nubies have a higher success rate given more documentation, reverse engineering things from obscure speculation is a no-no) that can perform or sound similar to a Thodio box.  Yeah, you might find something that even sounds better at a given price, but I am no expert on speakers.  Just my one cent.

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Ok.  I kind of had some of the same thoughts.  Thanks for the referral to diyaudio.  Since there is no build plan or anything for this out on the net it would definitely be easier DIY audio newbies like us if we found a comparable project on diyaudio.  Thanks for your feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back