DIY Subwoofer crossover board
Sep 23, 2020 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TheGiantHogweed

1000+ Head-Fier
I've recently built a custom speaker from drivers from decent PC speakers that had a fault with the electrical board. I've also added a driver from a monitor speaker that didn't have any use.

The speaker drivers are from the Creative Labs T40 PC speakers and the single driver (used as a subwoofer) is from the Ariston Acoustics 4080.

Now I will have been better off also using some tweeters, but they were really well glued in place to the PC speakers and the small drivers work surprisingly well at providing the full range with the exception of deep bass.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AIYIMA-DC1...0&sr=1-1-5a42e879-3844-4142-9c14-e77fe027c877

This above is the amplifier board I used. This is not an expensive build. All the drivers I had were left overs and I don't want to be spending much. The sound for how much I've spent has really surprised me. The only problem is what I explain below. I bought this amplifier specifically as it was a 2.1 channel board. It supposedly has a crossover dial, but that doesn't seem to do what I expected.

The subwoofer output on this amplifier seems to be just as loud from around 50hz to just over 1000hz which is a bit ridiculous. it only starts to roll off above this frequency turning the dial up that supposedly should be doing the job just starts introducing more mids. The small drivers as expected pretty accurately play down to just over 100hz I'd say. The issue is that with a lot of music, there is this area where they clash which is what I expected the crossover dial would sort out. This often results in a bit of a mess, especially between 300 - 500hz

This is where I'm wondering what extra thing I could buy to sort the problem with the sound out. I think I just don't have a full understanding of what would be the ideal component to get. I'm seeing a lot of subwoofer preamps, but they don't look like they take speaker cable as an input. I've never fully understood what a preamp is, so that can be explained to me!

I'm thinking such a thing must be around. As although it is much more expensive, my Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer takes the right and left channel speaker cables from my integrated amplifier (carrying all frequencies) and it has a built in low pass filter that can be adjusted to play bass at just 45hz or below for example.

My custom speaker is powered by a 24v battery pack, so if it needs to be powered, a board that has quite a flexible input such as 12 - 24v (like the amplifier), that would be ideal. I just need some kind of board that filters out everything above 200hz or so, then the problem I've having will be reduced.

I'm unsure what this device I'm after will be called so I don't know what to search for. As I implied, I don't want to spend much so it's probably only worth it if I can buy a cheap board from ebay for under £10.

Some images below of the amplifier and the speaker:
P1120037.JPG
P1110840.JPG

I'm really happy with the way it sounds, but can tell if would benefit massively if I can just get the subwoofer to cut off frequencies above 100 - 200hz.

Would much appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back