DIY speakers
Apr 29, 2004 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

eggplant of doom

Head-Fier
Hi
well, I wasan't sure whether to post this here or at the speakers forum...but it is after all a DIY project so i geuss it fits here...

So, here's the deal:
I found an old, but seemingly good, Sansui preamp and power amp.
i decided to fix them, which i did.
and so there I was with good ampification, and no speakers to speak of (the ones i found with the amps are some unidentified AR(Acoustic Research) speakers).

Now I'm on a quest to build my own, 3-way, shelf speakers,
I have done some research already, so i know my way around.
I need advice about places to get the drivers from, maybe ideas for speakers to clone, and an enswer to whether I should use a passive or an active crossover.

The trouble is, that I have very little (if any) experience with practical electronics, so any tips on the matter will be welcomed.

thnks
Jonathan

May 2, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 10
blink.gif

so...much...info...must...speak...in...broken...se ntences...

eggosmile.gif

May 2, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 10
If you want to go DIY to get the best bang for the buck, I suggest you to go for two ways design. and alter on a subwoofer or so if needed.
If you decided to go to 3 ways, pay extremely good attention at the time of designing the crossover, they are really hard to achieve the right way, and the 3 way crossovers are not an easy task, not even for experienced DIYers....
Why not visiting the Axioms website, they have really good choices there.....they sound as good as any expensive DIY one....

May 3, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 10
A good source for DIY speaker building is a place called "Speaker City". They can be found at < www.speakercity.com >. They handle many drivers from companies like; Accuton (Thiel), Audiom, Peerless, Focal & Scan Speak.

here's their info:
Speaker City
(818) 846-9921
115 S. Victory Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91502

- augustwest

May 3, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 10
May 4, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 10
Here's an easier way...

Those unidentified AR speakers must be pretty old. If the box is still good, why not just replace those drivers with something new? That way you won't need to build a new box. All you would need to do is replace those old drivers with something newer, and build your own crossover.

May 6, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 10
Hello,
I have too many questions about you:
-how is the size of the room?
-After you are new in this area (you claim to have done a research), why are you throwing in deep waters? 3-band buckhelf is a very serious job, just go to a 2, or 2/5?
-What budget have you allocated?
-can a picture of the boxes? / If you do not have it easier /
Joro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back