DIY Speaker with headphone driver
May 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BWAS1000

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I was thinking I could make a really small portable speaker with 2 headphone drivers. woult it be loud enough for this? If so what should I make the eonclousre out of? I was thinking wood, with an amp inside it.

May 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 3
Will they go loud enough - maybe. Define loud enough? High end sennheisers play loud enough to be clearly audible a good 20 ft down the hall. 

Perhaps a more important question is "will they have reasonable bandwidth" To which the answer is almost certainly no. 

You will probably have better results from a dedicated "full range" 2" speaker. I know, I know 2"~=50mm which is the size of some headphone drivers, but headphone drivers have a really wicked low-frequency roll off when you play them at speaker levels. Although it may not matter, the lower impedance of the proper speaker will probably let you get more power into them - especically when you consider the practical limitations of battery power. 

Building the amp into the enclosure is cool. For portable you dont really have any other choice.  

So, yea, look for 2" full range speakers. 
If you can carry an enclosure big enough, 3-4" would be better. 

May 30, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 3
  Will they go loud enough - maybe. Define loud enough? High end sennheisers play loud enough to be clearly audible a good 20 ft down the hall. 

Perhaps a more important question is "will they have reasonable bandwidth" To which the answer is almost certainly no. 

You will probably have better results from a dedicated "full range" 2" speaker. I know, I know 2"~=50mm which is the size of some headphone drivers, but headphone drivers have a really wicked low-frequency roll off when you play them at speaker levels. Although it may not matter, the lower impedance of the proper speaker will probably let you get more power into them - especically when you consider the practical limitations of battery power. 

Building the amp into the enclosure is cool. For portable you dont really have any other choice.  

So, yea, look for 2" full range speakers. 
If you can carry an enclosure big enough, 3-4" would be better. 

Hey thanks, they look cheap enough for me to still be able to do this project. I'll look into them. I was trying to make a speaker in the vein of the x-mini and the Music Bullet, so I was asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back