DIY speaker stands -- any ideas?
Jan 15, 2003 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kerecsen

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure it's acceptable to talk about speakers on head-fi, but I'll try nonetheless
tongue.gif
So here it goes:

I need a couple of (about 40 cm high) speaker stands for my B&W602's but the idea of giving somebody 150 bucks for something like this revolts me. So I'm looking for ideas on how to produce a funcionally outstanding and aesthetically acceptable replacement for something like 15 bucks.

My first idea was a small brick fundation, but then I saw some floor bricks (the outdoors type that's about 8 cm high and 30x10 in size) at my local home improvement shop and they looked better and tougher.

Another solution is a concrete-foam brick (sorry, I don't know the proper english term) which is bigger and lighter but seemed like it would always dust up the place unless painted or varnished.

The thought of using a couple of really thich plastic pipes filled with sand also crossed my mind, but that may be visually unacceptable (and not necessary very stable).

I don't have access to welding facilities, so making one out of scrap metal is out of the question
frown.gif

Any other ideas, or anecdotal evidence of what works?

Jan 15, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 5
Concrete cinder blocks from a hardware store work extremely well. They have a number of nice properties: they're heavy, they're made out of an acoustically inert material, and they're very cheap. (You'll want to wrap them with black construction paper or drape them with cloth so that houseguests don't think you're a cheapskate.) I use these myself.

Jan 16, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 5
O man, if only I had a digital camera. My step dad is a light house freak so he decided he was going to build some speakers stands for our new surround sound. He used a planting pot, a trashcan and some latern thing from walmart to make a light house stand, they are pretty awsome
smily_headphones1.gif
Even have candles in the laterns so they can be functional lighthouses
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 5
Two square pieces of MDF, the bottom 12-18" sq., the top one same size as the speaker bottom dimension, and two 2x4's or even 2x3's, some sandpaper, screws, elmer's glue, primer, and black paint????
That's basically what mine are, I've also made some like that with a single 2x6 support member.
You will save enough to buy the isolation spikes!
Check out www.madisound.com, they have those kind of speaker accessories, and also probably some more economical stands.

Jan 16, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 5
I built mine about ten years ago. They are simple as can be. I used 3 plates of MDF 12"x5"x3/4" glued together for the bottom plate, a plate of 7"x7"x3/4" for the top part. In between I used some old oak broomsticks, two sticks per stand, one in front, one in the back. To hold everything together, I used some 3 inches wood screw and a lot of glue.

The wife got tired of their look about two years ago so I bought some silver metallic paint and 400 grit sand paper.

People often aske me where I got those nice metal speaker stands, and I just smile
smily_headphones1.gif

So for about 14$ you can make 4 of these. Be sure to fix the speaker to the stand tho as the paint makes them slippery and you don't want the audio gear falling too often... I used simple tyraps and a screw in the middle of the top plate.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back