DIY Soundcard
Mar 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pontiusx

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, new to the site, but i've spent a lot of time reading, and still not sure where to go.

I have my computer set up, where i listen to everything on my speakers there 70% of the time, and nearby is my theatre set up, which contains a sweet pair of pioneers I inherited, and a Yamaha CR-820 Receiver.

I'm thinking about jsut buying a USB soundcard or amp, but I think I would enjoy the DIY project and would learn a lot from it.

What i really would liek is some sort of USB amp/card that I could build, or a DAC. What I would like is for it to have two RCA plugs to connect to my receiver, and a headphone jack if I wanted to use my headphones (allen and heath xd-53, I'm a DJ.). I would like it to be USB because of the way my computer is set up, and I'm current using the onboard sound card, which is decent, but can be frustrating.

Any suggestions? Would like to spend under  or around 100? it doesnt have to be the best thing in the universe, but if i bought a manufactured card that is a huge leap in quality, Id rather have that.

Thanks for your help, I know this question has been asked a thousand times.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 6

The only one I can think of that would have both RCA jacks and a headphone jack would be the AMB y1. Not sure if you can fit it in under $100, maybe if you provided your own case.

This was my first DIY project, it is quite a complex build with tiny components. But it has a lot of upgrade potential to a full y2. This was my favorite DAC before I get a Twisted Pear Opus.

Check it out, you'll probably want to start with the "B" or "Lite" configuration.

http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma1/

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 6
I was looking at the pictures of the one you sent me, and it looks like it only has 3.5mm out? or is that just the "mini" y1?

how much would it cost?

how much would a y2 cost? would it be too difficult for a first project?

thanks!

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Sorry it does look like the RCA jacks are part of the y2 board. My y1+y2 build cost a little $300.

If you are doing your own casing then you can just split the output to RCA's and/or headphone jack. The downside is you will not have volume control. Personally at your budget you'll get more just buying a complete DAC/Amp like a NuForce uDAC or Musiland 02.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 6

The y2 board basically mates on to the y1 board. It added a few more output options, a better clock, and a up sampler.

The build is not too hard if you take your time and are organized. Print out the parts list and order your parts, you'll may need to use more than on vendor depending on parts availability. Start with the y1 "Lite" config since you only need USB, this will save you a lot of money.

When the parts arrive, you'll have what seems to be 100 little plastic baggies, take your time and sort them. Do one board at a time starting with the y1 and you'll be fine.

Take a look at Tangent's tutorial on soldering http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/

Hardest parts are soldering the IC's because they have lots of little legs that you have to line up perfectly. They are the most expensive items to purchase if you mess up.

The y1 board is actually 2 boards a (usb board and the DAC) if you are just building a y1 you can populate it then snap it in half to mate the two boards together. If you are certain you are going to build a y2 then DO NOT snap it in half otherwise it will be a pain to rejoin them.

There's a huge thread in the DIY forum that you can turn to when you need help. All in all I think it took me a 2-3 weekends of work to get everything working right. It was a challenge but fun and I learned a lot.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back