DIY S-video cable - quick question
Nov 1, 2007 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xmokshax

100+ Head-Fier
yea, i know, HEAD-Fi... but i figure someone on here can probably answer this question. i want to make a couple of S-video cables (rather than buying them), and i have some Canare Star Quad on hand. the S-video specification requires two signal wires, each with its own ground. am i correct in assuming that the Star Quad configuration will work fine for this application? has anyone ever tried this?

Nov 1, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 7
Video signals have different demands than audio signals, and are in general more demanding.

s-video should be transmitted over a pair of 75-ohm coaxial cables.

people will tell you that you can get away with something else, and you might, but the standard is still to use a pair of 75-ohm coaxes.

Nov 1, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 7
alrighty... thanks for the response. i've actually found some S-vid cables that are far cheaper than i'd seen before, so i might give those a shot before trying to make my own.

Nov 1, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 7
be aware that s-video may look worse than composite on some CRTs.

this is because the jackass technicians who do the final setup at the factory will often do the color balance first on s-video, and then on compoiste - except it's the same circuit. It usually results in s-video showing up excessively red.

Nov 1, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah the problem is finding small-diameter 75-ohm. It's really hard to find a mini-din that you can terminate a pair of RG6 cables into.

But I've heard of 150-foot runs of s-video over pairs of quad-shielded RG6 with BNC connectors on the ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back