DIY repair of harman kardon NC ?
Jan 22, 2014 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

brok

New Head-Fier
Hi

I got caught in the tube (underground) door when listening to my music through headphones, and as a result my harman kardon nc suffered damage to one speaker. There is no visible damage outside, but something must came loose inside since the quality deteriorated a lot and there is rattling sound playing high volumes, even worse with NC turned on. First thing I called HK asking them if they would repair it for me (for money - me being clumsy is not manufacturer's fault) but they refuse to, saying I should contact the shop. Guarantee is always with the shop first and I simply do not want to deal with them. This was sale and these headphones are no longer available there, so the best I could hope for is to get some money back (if I cheat, which I won't do anyway). I prefer to keep the headphones and try to fix.

I liked the sound (before the accident) so much I bough a second pair, directly from HK this time so the service is guaranteed from manufacturer for a lifetime, should another accident happen. Having little doubts if I should support the business which does not support their customers, but this is partly my fault and EU laws here. HK gave me the contact to repair centre here in UK which I called and was told they cannot fix it for me, the only thing they fix in headphones is cables. So, I plan to open the damaged can myself; the worst can happen is that I will throw headphones away having learned something, and still keep the headbands and cables which may come handy for my second pair.

I wonder if anyone has ever opened cans (speaker unit) in harman kardon and/or has any advice out there how to do it myself.

PS. I have some useful tools and a bit of experience fixing electronics or precise mechanical devices. Also, given the low, low sale price I paid I will not regret to throw the headphones away if I kill it entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back