DIY recomendations? (iPods+Soldering Iron)
Jul 5, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #17 of 25
... helping hands are very useful and cost almost nothing.

I have no idea why someone wouldn't purchase them

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nausicaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah I understand, but I have a Weller SP23L, and I blame it for ruining my cmoybb when I was trying to solder it. (warning huge picture) http://i44.tinypic.com/34rsrd0.jpg Would you recommend purchasing helping hands?

IMO, that looks more like poor technique than faulty equipment. I've built a few CMoys and cables in the past couple weeks with a SP23L and none of them look like that.

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by stasher1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, that looks more like poor technique than faulty equipment. I've built a few CMoys and cables in the past couple weeks with a SP23L and none of them look like that.

I gotta take a picture of the iron itself, the tip is a blunt as a well worn pencil. But not to blame faulty equipment, I'm not the best at soldering either.

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nausicaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah I understand, but I have a Weller SP23L, and I blame it for ruining my cmoybb when I was trying to solder it. (warning huge picture) http://i44.tinypic.com/34rsrd0.jpg Would you recommend purchasing helping hands?

I paid $8 for mine and would never go back. The magnification on it is not huge but it's still better than squinting and the hands-free aspect of the thing is wonderful. I can't imagine working without it.

At a fleat market, I bought a bigger magnification for $20, but that comes in handy when working with SMD components.

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #22 of 25
I shelled out for a hakko 936 plus a buncha tips and I love the thing. I know it costs a bazillion times more than what you currently have but I seriously was amazed by just how much better it really was compared to a cheapo iron. Seriously it's like going from the crap white ipod earbuds to a beyerdynamic dt880. I love being able to dial in the temps I want.
And I don't even have a cool grip stand for parts or anything (do need to get one).
The hakko tips are pretty durable too although you should always try to tin them and apparently constantly rubbing the hot tip on the sponge is bad lol.

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #23 of 25
Are you going for internal caps or external caps? For external but still portable (read: fits in dock) I suggest Silmic II's.

Got a Mini for free from a friend, threw in a new battery, diyModded it, ordered a 16GB CF card and I'm superhappy with it! It sounds so much more fun than my iPhone and 6G iPod!

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #25 of 25
You're never gonna fit Sonicaps inside the iPod..
I actually prefer caps on the outside, that way you can switch caps for purpose; portability or super high quality.
Cerafine/Silmic II/Black Gate/whatev or V-Cap/Mundorf/Sonicap
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back