DIY RCA-RCA interconnect question (switchcraft 3502A + BJC LC-1)
Aug 9, 2009 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Lead Ears

New Head-Fier
Hello DIYers,

I am in the process of preparing to order the supplies I need to make some of my own interconnects (unbalanced RCA-RCA). For the cable, I am planning on using LC-1 from www.rawcable.com for analog stereo interconnects, and Belden 1694A for some component video interconnects. By way of background, these cable types are used by Bluejeanscable (BJC) to make many of the interconnects that they sell, and are documented extensively on their website. Here is some info about the components I would to use:

1. BJC lists the outer diameter (o.d.) of the LC-1 cable as 0.305" (~7.75 mm) and the o.d. of the 1694A as 0.275" (~7.0 mm).

2. If at all possible, I would like to use Switchcraft 3502A RCA plugs. The Switchcraft website lists the maximum cable diameter for this plug as 0.285" (~7.24 mm).

Clearly the LC-1 is too large (nominally) for the 3502A plugs, and the 1694A would be a tight fit. My first question is whether anyone has ever drilled or otherwise enlarged the opening on an RCA plug to fit a slightly larger than spec'd cable?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend another plug that would address this issue without necessitating drilling or other modification? Please consider that I like the no-tweako, no-B.S. style of the Switchcraft plugs, as well as their reputation for quality and the low price. Additionally, although I haven't exactly worked out the details, I do plan on using some combination of Techflex and heat-shrink tubing to dress the cables, primarily for visual appeal. Depending on how I put them together, this may not be a concern for the cable inlet diameter of the plugs.

Lastly, if this topic has been covered in another thread, I would be grateful for a link; I have searched fairly extensively and found a lot of great ideas and information, but haven't come across this specific issue.

Thanks to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back