DIY RCA cable exploded!?
Jul 26, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by spencexxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet I know what could have contributed to this! The comment about conduction...I didn't want to slop solder on the table...so I was using the stove plate as a workspace...that might have been a dumb idea. I wonder if I shorted out my iron...
I didn't know a soldering iron had much to do with electricity (aside from heating up) Are you supposed to unplug it before you use it and then plug it back in to heat it back up?

All this is turning into a huge confusion for me as I watch youtube videos of 7 year old girls explaining how easy it is to solder while I'm shooting lightning bolts across my kitchen!

EDIT: @ BillyK : No, I don't have a meter. My tool collection consists of a pair of pliers and a wrench set that I sometimes use to drive small nails. I unplugged the iron right after that, but I did notice that it was "singed" up to the screw you would use to change out the bit. I'll plug it in tomorrow and see if it still heats up. Its 3am though, so I'm going to sleep...I'll check back here in the morning!

Just re-read your post. I would advise AGAINST plugging that in again! Something is not right about it and it could be deadly and without a meter to check it you would have no way of knowing. Mains power is very serious business, I think, actually fairly sure, the iron is defective.

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

..Its 3am though, so I'm going to sleep...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3amsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, then it was ...

Sorry, I had to.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #22 of 30
@pdupiano:
Nope, no powder residue on the shield.

Also, the iron is/was a "Top-craft" TLK 30 for which I can't find onlne info in English. It was sold at Aldi supermarket and passed the German safety inspections and has a 3 year guarantee. So, do I need a Weller?

Yeah, I didn't even (consciously) realize the 3am thing!

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #23 of 30
A better iron would be nice, but I think one that's not broken would be fine!

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 30
I'm using the Weller WHS 40, which is much cheaper than the digital version with the same functions. 69€ or something and really worth it. you can get it at conrad or reichelt or something. the standard chiseltip is perfect for electronics, even finer smd soldering.
pm me if you should have some questions.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #25 of 30
Don't forget it can also be static electricity, that can raise to thousands of volts, specially if the weather is very dry and hot.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #26 of 30
Well perhaps I'll put on a rubber glove and a welders mask and give it another shot. If it does it again, I'll post...if I don't post, it either means that it is working fine or I am dead on my kitchen floor.

I'm sure the 69 Oi one is sweet...but I'm not handy enough (English usage! :wink: to get the bang for my multi-colored bucks! (We do have a Conrad in downtown LE, so I can at least take a look and get some of that famous German customer service!)

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by vhbaske /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget it can also be static electricity, that can raise to thousands of volts, specially if the weather is very dry and hot.

yes, static can reach frightening levels but if enough accumulates on your body to blow a hole like that in a metal mesh you probably would have died when it went.

I agree with the guesses that something in your soldering iron is faulty. If you have a multimeter, measure from the tip to both of the mains prongs for resistance. It should be infinity.

Mains voltage could easily blow a hole like that in something that was dead-shorted with no fuse. I would imagine the spark from a 240v line to ground would be spectacular, especially when viewed with the focus I usually have when soldering.
Quote:

but I'm not handy enough (English usage! :wink:

Does it have an alternate meaning in german? Im guessing its some sort of slang for spanking the monkey (masturbation).

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #28 of 30
just my 5 cents...
Ever thought that cable might contain some magnesium?
Just a thought...
Remembering 6th grade chemistry... magnesium, when heated to burning temp, goes poof in a bright white-bluish flash(old camera flashes were made out of magnesium)... in that case, you found the culprit...

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

I bet I know what could have contributed to this! The comment about conduction...I didn't want to slop solder on the table...so I was using the stove plate as a workspace...

I'm not sure what German standards are, but if the case on the stove plate is metal, I would assume it was grounded. As you has taken the insulation off the cable, it was likely touching the grounded metal of the stove plate, creating a short circuit.

Warning number 3 for a Weller Soldering iron (SP23) says don't touch anything grounded.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it have an alternate meaning in german? Im guessing its some sort of slang for spanking the monkey (masturbation).

Exactly! ...well. not exactly.... well.....not even close. It's a cell/mobile phone!

Not only in Germany either. I have heard Arab countries use it too.

Still haven't touched the iron, but grounding out on the stove sounds like it was the culprit. I'll do it over wood next time. Also, I"ll do a little reading about mulitmeters and see if anyone around here has one I can borrow!

Thanks for all the expertise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back