DIY power supply question
Oct 14, 2002 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kfaiman

Head-Fier
I would like to build a dual +5VDC output power supply for my modded DI/O's digital board. The current from the two +5VDC inputs are 160 mA analog and 110 mA digital (270mA total). I was wondering if a modified version of KG's dynamic amp PS would be suitable.

If I use a smaller Talema toroidal like the 70041 (10VA, 2x9V full-load, 2x10.8V no load, 556mA), what components need to be changed to output dual +5VDC? I was also considering adding an iso transformer at the digital +5VDC output.

Thanks for your help.

Oct 16, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 6
The Gilmore Ultra Reg. power supply is designed to output a bipolar voltage, such as +15 vdc and -15 vdc. It sounds like you need two seperate +5 vdc supplies, am I reading that right?

If you want to use two +5 volt power supplies I ran into a super buy on excellent quality +5 volt regulated supplies here-
http://www.dalode.com/

Look on the specials page. I shop here alot for items and know these guys to be honest. I don't know what they charge for shipping.

Oct 16, 2002 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 6
well... yes, I need dual +5VDC outputs. I am building a KG amp/PS and was playing around w/ the idea of putting the DI/O's digital board & jensen output transformers in the same case as the KG amp. This would result in a very nice DAC/amp unit and eliminate the need for interconnects and additional cases. It would be nice to power both the DI/O and amp w/ a single modified KG PS. It was suggested that two unity buffers after the REF02 5V reference would work (EL2008/9s, maybe). I'll be toting the system to work daily, so size matters.

On the other hand, I am considering the use of two "updated" Didden-Jung +5VDC super regulators (see the diyaudio forums). A british guy is selling the PCB+opamp for ~$45 (though I would rather buy some aos boards... hint, hint). These would probably need their own case and tranformer. If I went this route, I would probably put the PS and DI/O in the same enclosure.

What I really want to know is... how much better ripple/noise performance would Didden/Jung super regulators provide vs. EL2008/9 unity buffers? And, would the addition of unity buffers to KG PS's REF02 bring in digital noise from the DAC?

I'm sure these questions are difficult to answer. I'm tempted to buy a used oscilloscope from ebay and find out for myself...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 6
I've just finished designing the PCBs. They are about 5cm by 5 cm, can accomodate either DIP-8 or SOIC-8 chip, and have a pre-regulator. I hope to order a batch very soon... I need +-5V and +-12V for Guido et al. reclocking DAC - currently using 78(9)L05 which is, ahem, not ideal.

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 6
It would be nice to directly compare the two regulaters. Dude, just go buy that scope....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back