DIY Power pack help
May 3, 2003 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Patchmaster

100+ Head-Fier
I happened upon a great deal on some rechargeable batteries that I'm trying to assemble into a battery pack for my portable headphone amp. My current plan is to put 16 batteries in the pack. With the enclosure I have in mind they will arrange nicely into two groups of eight. (This will obviously make it somewhat less than ideal for portability, but I'm willing to live with that.) I want the pack to provide maximum voltage to the amp so wiring the batteries in series is clearly the way to go. This, however, presents me with a problem. Sixteen 1.2v batteries in series presents a 19.2v load. My charger will accept a maximum 14.4v load.

My current line of thought is to rig up something to switch the two groups of eight batteries from being wired in series (for amp use) to being wired in parallel (for recharging). This would give me 19.2v for use with the amp and 9.6v for recharging. Here's where my problem arises. I know diddly about wiring. I think I need a DPDT switch, but I have no idea how to wire it up. Can anyone help? Please use small words and lots of detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back