DIY power cord
Jul 4, 2004 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ProFingerSk8er

Headphoneus Supremus
i am planning to build a nice power cord, after reading power cable assembly guide on partsexpress.com i have decided on 100-577, 110-400, and 110-403.
the Carol power cable is 12 gauge, how thick is 12 gauge in inches? im planning to cover the cable in techflex so i'll need to know what size to get.

does parts express only carry flexo-pet techflex? i really dig the look of black techflex with white tracer, sure dont want to pay double shipping just for the techflex

any recommendations?
thanks

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 8
I'm not sure if i would reccomend using that wire on a powercable, based on the tempature ratings the dieletric on the wire is most likely PVC, but if you insist on using it, i would guess 1/2" or 3/4" techflex would be best for covering the cable. I obiviously don't know the exact wire you're working with, but i think around half an inch is a good, safe guess, maybe slightly thicker.

I reccomend using a superior teflon-based wire, like the stock wire that chris venhaus uses, or even a belden wire (The powercable for my melos is made out of such a wire, the writing on the jacketing rubs off though, so i can't tell you what it is right now). 12 gauge is good for a powercable, i wouldn't reccomend using anything less than 14 gauge if you decide to use a different wire.

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 8
thanks Ebonyks, where can i order those cables you recommanded?

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 8
12 gauge refers to the overall size of each conductor (live, neutral, ground). What you need is the Outside Diameter O.D. of the whole cable. The overall nominal size of the cable is listed as .43 inches according to the Part Express site.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/catalog04/050pec03.pdf

They do carry Techflex

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....WebPage_ID=161

Techflex 3/8 inch will adjust from 1/4 inch to 1/2inch. 1/2 inch goes from 3/8 to 1 inch. Depends on how tight you want it around your PC.

Jul 4, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 8
I managed to find an unmangled portion of the melos cable, and it's 83802. Now i look into it, it's the same wire that chris venhaus used to use.

Jul 4, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 8
humm....those cables are pretty expansive, i would like to keep the total under $60 if possible, i dont think i would feel comfortable spending more then that on power cables, right now i just want some decent PC so i wont have to use my POS powercable from my computer with my [size=xx-small]hint[/size]*new amp*[size=xx-small]hint[/size] that should arrive sometime next week, is the Carol cable really THAT bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back