DIY power cord - anyone build this one?
Apr 3, 2009 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
I'm completely new to DIY cables and found this recipe for a power cord:

DIY Mains Power Cable (Belden 83803)

So here are my questions:

1. When I put everything I need for a 6' power cord in my shopping cart at Parts Express, I come out at over $100 (I put the Wattgate connectors in there, not the Marinco...just preference). So is this a cable that'd be equivelent to a $250-$400 "name brand" power cord? Moon Audio's Blue Dragon is less than $200 - is Drew just offering a very good value or is the parts cost in this DIY cable actually higher than what he's dealing with in something like the Blue Dragon? Please understand - I'm not saying ANYTHING negative about Drew...I own his headphone cables and love them!

2. I'm not technically savvy enough to understand why the guy in the above link ties the shield to ground on one end. Why is this better than have the ground lead itself tied in at both ends? What am I missing?

I like the idea of building a few cables myself but I want to start out easy. This seems like a pretty easy build. Comments/suggestions welcome!

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Ground is tied to the wall end so that when it picks up any EMI/RFI the noise is shunted into the wall, and not into your equipment. For manufacturer cords, you have to realize that they probably buy hundreds or even thousands of each part at a time, and thus can get the parts much cheaper than we can when we buy them one at a time. That could be one reason why he can sell the cable at low cost (there could be others though, can't really know unless you take one of his cables apart and figure out what all the components are).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back