DIY PARTS SOURCING
Jul 22, 2022 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kachoo

Head-Fier
Howdy, I’ve been browsing the DIY threads, and haven’t seen any good resources for where to find parts for diy audio products. From my personal experience, you really only have 4 options, and none of them are by any means ideal.

a) Take a headphone apart, salvage the needed parts, and are left with the unwanted parts.
b) You contact the manufacturer, and spend a ridiculously high price to purchase your specific part.
c) Find some shady website with the desired product, and roll the dice for weather the quality/functionality are any good.
d) Create the part/product yourself with a 3D printer/ CNC machine, assuming you have the tools to fabricate the product, not no mention the software knowledge to create the model assets.

The fact that these solutions aren’t ideal should be fairly apparent, but it doesn’t have to be this way. Forums like head-fi are the perfect place to congregate the disparate gaps in knowledge and resources that are greatly needed.

So if someone needs a part; be it a headband, driver, ear pads, housing, or anything else, It would be great to have a place where people recommend and share their experiences and recommendations.

For me personally, I’ve been disappointed in many headband/yolk designs from the likes of focal and monolith, and am looking for a solid well suited replacement. I know in the past, there was availability to purchase headbands from Audeze, Sennheiser, and Hifiman alike. What are some aftermarket headband solutions that you’ve found over the years?

Cheers,
~kachoo

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 4
For Fostex and Denon, you can find some parts on Full Compass and Encompass. Denon has some drivers on their site, too.

There is a seller on eBay that has aftermarket headbands. I've seen them adapted to different headphones.

And then there are sites like AliExpress, which has drivers for sure. Some have built entire 3D printed headphones around them.

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 4
EarphoneDIYLabs seems legit, I've seen a few people build sets with parts from there.
Also some people have used parts from Aliexpress with success.

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 4
What you're asking for is not DIY, it's parts for modding an existing, manufactured product. There's a difference in that from actual DIY, where you purchase generic, discrete parts for manufacturing your own design product. The market differences between the two are enormous. Every headphone mfr is different and makes entirely different headphones. It's risky to base a business in selling parts that would be suitable for modding specific headphones that have so many differences. Only the best-selling, most prevalent selections would be profitable, if even then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back