DIY paint job gallery
Oct 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #31 of 88
Quote:
Not really audio related.... Though it could be used as a DAP stand / IEM hanger.....

Made this 'desktidy' out of MDF then gave it it a lick of paint:

it could make for a pretty cool Desktidy as you said, or paperweight.
but if only the Hook part was a bit longer and drooped more. then it would make a reasonable Headphone stand.

but yea, cool idea i hope someone can improve on another. a Headphone stand on your workdesk that can hold pencils, your music player, and your headphones that you can grab from and make your work feel shorter

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #33 of 88
Dec 16, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #34 of 88
Got a used SR71B and dun like the silver color...
Then I spray it to dull black 
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #36 of 88
Any suggestions for durable paint or coating for metal?  The coating on the metal parts of my recently acquired HE-500's has some chipping and I'd like to tidy up the appearance.  Would be cool to keep it metallic looking instead of something like black paint.

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #37 of 88
Quote:
Any suggestions for durable paint or coating for metal?  The coating on the metal parts of my recently acquired HE-500's has some chipping and I'd like to tidy up the appearance.  Would be cool to keep it metallic looking instead of something like black paint.

+1 on similar query.

Have dissembled my Bottlehead Crack and want to paint the top metal plate, gloss black enamel spray paint turned out alright but leaves scuffs and fingermarks if touched the slightest, after something that would protect it...

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #38 of 88
Quote:
+1 on similar query.

Have dissembled my Bottlehead Crack and want to paint the top metal plate, gloss black enamel spray paint turned out alright but leaves scuffs and fingermarks if touched the slightest, after something that would protect it...

Quote:

Yes & No.

Here is a rating of durability (1 being least durable, 3 being most durable):
1.) Rattle Can Paint
2.) Automotive Base Coat & Clear Coat sprayed with an automotive paint gun.
3.) Powdercoating

If you are talking about the metal grills on the HE-500 I would suggest going with option #3, powdercoated. Very very durable but a bit pricey. Google local powdercoating shops and ask for a quote.
or
If you want option #2 or #3, I would recommend http://www.referencesounds.com  I purchased a painted pair of Paradox's with powdercoated sliders from them. A+ work and it's super durable!

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #39 of 88
Thanks for the suggestions. My main area of concern is the yoke. That is where the wear is showing. There might not be a good solution since I need it durable, but can't afford powdercoating. I might not keep the headphones anyways.

DefQon, my Bottlehead S.E.X. has that rippled spray paint that goes on unevenly and give it texture. It has proven to be pretty durable and reasonably fingerprint resistant. Looks good too.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #41 of 88
I preferred the original. The problem with the method you have taken with your painting is without a sanded down surface, primed that matt black is going to come off fairly easily. Not to mention you have no protection coat on top. Painting plastic is something really hard to master even for a painter. (I'm no painter)

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #42 of 88
Quote:
I preferred the original. The problem with the method you have taken with your painting is without a sanded down surface, primed that matt black is going to come off fairly easily. Not to mention you have no protection coat on top. Painting plastic is something really hard to master even for a painter. (I'm no painter)

the IEM surface was actually already sanded, I forget to take a picture
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back