DIY paint job gallery
Feb 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #76 of 88
Well I do a lot of computer modding, so I want to do more than just painting headphones, but I want the highest quality I can get here. Got pics of those grados?

I bought some meguirs polishing compound from autozone, and I bought some 'electric blue pearl' perfect match duplicolor from autozone, but I just realized it's a lacquer (not enamel) so it can't mix with enamel rustoleums, so I gotta either buy a different color, or lacquer primer and lacquer clear coat for it too. I think the idea is that you can put polishing compound over clear coat and it'll make it pop even more (like how clear coat can make a paint pop). 

That metallic blue by rustoleum, I don't like the metal flakes in it. It's a good color, but those flakes are kinda cheesy looking. That xbox looks good in the pic but I'm sure in person you see the metal flakes?

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #77 of 88
I thought it looked good in person. The flakes aren't big so it doesn't look cheesy. I had a good amount of clear coat on it though, so it looked pretty deep with the metallic specks.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #78 of 88
Well I do a lot of computer modding, so I want to do more than just painting headphones, but I want the highest quality I can get here. Got pics of those grados?

I bought some meguirs polishing compound from autozone, and I bought some 'electric blue pearl' perfect match duplicolor from autozone, but I just realized it's a lacquer (not enamel) so it can't mix with enamel rustoleums, so I gotta either buy a different color, or lacquer primer and lacquer clear coat for it too. I think the idea is that you can put polishing compound over clear coat and it'll make it pop even more (like how clear coat can make a paint pop). 

That metallic blue by rustoleum, I don't like the metal flakes in it. It's a good color, but those flakes are kinda cheesy looking. That xbox looks good in the pic but I'm sure in person you see the metal flakes?

Sure!

I paint a lot of things, sometimes I'll do a really nice job (with an hvlp gun and real paint) and sometimes I'm happy with a rattle can job. It's interest and application dependant...but the only real secret to painting is prep work

For the record, I love metal flake in almost any application LOL

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #79 of 88
Nice.

What kind of prep work though? Do you sand in between coats, after coats? Do you sand the plastic before anything?

Do you use primer or adhesion promoters? i'm a bit confused on those. ie if i use adhesion promoter, bulldog (which is quite expensive!, $15!), do i still need to prime? What primer do I get, etc.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #80 of 88
Usually for plastic I just scuff with scotch brite and paint (with plastic paint) or use plastic primer and paint if I'm not using plastic paint. If I want a thicker coating or it's an odd color, then sand between coats (wait a good 24 hours before sanding). Adhesion promoter is a waste IMO and primer should only really be needed if the item is going to be abused...for something like a computer case I'd likely just scuff, paint with white primer or plastic white, then coloured top coat, then clear coat

I have very little issue with chipping paint, I've painted all the plastic pieces on my jeeps and they've lasted years. For the grados I did the whole thing in an afternoon, it was a pretty rush job just for kicks. There's no primer as the pink covered well, and about 3 coats of pink and 3 coats of clear (I used metal flake clear, it's a bad picture LOL). I didn't do any sanding in between, I scraped a few runs off with a razor blade when they were semi-hard. So far the paint looks as new (about 6 months?)

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #81 of 88
H, interesting. The car guys seem really intent on adhesion promoter, maybe its just for wear and tear outside jobs.

Anyways, that duplicolor electron blue pearl 'perfect match' is actually a lacquer, whereas rustoleum is an enamel... which means I gotta buy new primer, new clear coat... zzzz. I guess I can just return my rustoleum stuff, since rustoleum doesnt make a solid dark blue (the closest they have is a 2x Royal Blue). The closest they have is that metallic blue which is a bit on the gray side, and its also got those flakes.

Guess my entire spray can rustoleum collection out, duplicolor in. Getting the sandable primer and duplicolor clear coat. I also got meguirs polishing compound.

I think I'm going to paint that silver inner ring on my 558s blue. Maybe the whole ear piece, that might be too loud though.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #88 of 88

Users who are viewing this thread

Back