DIY noob needs major help
Jan 20, 2003 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
Hi.

I am going to build this as a first project:

http://headwize2.powerpill.org/proje...=cmoy1_prj.htm

(The modified Linkwitz crossfeed filter)

and I am having a seriously hard time finding the damned parts. I get endless lists at Mouser or digikey and couldn't punch my way out of a wet paper bag at this point in regard to these things. Again, this is my very first bit of electronics work and I am keen to do it right.

For instance, for the caps, I'll find a whole list of micro-Farad ones, and no nano-farads. Or they won't be metal film or some other stupid thing like that.

Can anyone suggest how to search for these parts and from what sites I should buy? I am also concerned about ending up with sub-par (non audiophile quality) parts.

Also, can someone please recommend a good solder? I have a decent (30W) pen soldering iron already.

Please help.

Regards,
Matt

Jan 20, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 4
C1 is 22 nF... or .022 uF... use digikey P3223-nd.
C2 is 120 nF... or .12 uF. This is hard to find. You can use a .10 uF in parallel with another .022 uF (extra from C1 position. Therefore, the digikey number for the .10 uF cap is P3104-nd.

This is detailed on Tangent's website under META42...adding crossfeed. This presumes you are building the hi-z version.

BTW, these are all polypro caps.

For solder- Kester 44 in a 63/37 blend is good all-around and easy to use.

Hope this helps!

Jan 20, 2003 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi!

Thank you for your kind response. I momentarily forgot about the mathematical conversions for those caps...

For that "in tandem" resistor set, can you suggest another "close enough" single resistor?

I would also like to buy all the stuff from one company. Does digikey have suitable tinned breadboard (or whatever that holey stuff is called)? Also, I am planning on building this as a "unit hard-soldered to interconnects," so are there any decent types of wire from Digikey (like, say, solid silver wire with teflon dielectric) for the internal point-to-point wiring as well as the external interconnect part?

Thanks SO much...

Regards,
Matt

Jan 20, 2003 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 4
Not sure which resistor tandem you refer to?

If you mean the parallel caps, there is a polyester box cap in the appropriate value that I bought, but the pair of polypros really is more suitable, and costs about the same. I'll get the number from home tonight. If they are resistors, just use metal-film 1% stock available from RS, Digikey, Mouser, and/or Newark.

As for wire, you can search this, as people have very different and very strong feeling about the stuff. Some use just solid copper 22 or 24 awg, others need stranded to be comfy. The teflon insulation is very nice, as it keeps the insulation from shrinking away from the heat of the soldering iron. But it's about $20-$30 a spool, per color. You sort of need to make a commitment to use a lot of wire to make it worthwhile, or buy buy the foot and pay a premium. This is not a bad thing, though. If you are going to make one or two amps, and that's it... what the heck. Even $2.50 per foot would be better than having $40-$80 worth of wire kicking around. See Michael Percy or Handmade for this nice Kimber and Cardas wire. You can also pick up small amounts of solder, again at premium. Not everyone will use a pound in their lifetime, even!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back