DIY Modifying custom molded IEM's / Earplugs
Jan 18, 2007 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Bonsai Monkey

New Head-Fier
I have a set of Westone ES2's that have lost their seal. I don't know if they have shrunk or if my ear canals have grown, but they don't seal anymore unless I hold them in my ears. They fit nicely, just feel like they are too small. The original fit always felt a little small, but they used to seal well enough for me to wear them while walking around, and that was good enough for me.

I also have a pair of their musicians earplugs, and while they don't feel like they have gotten smaller, the left side never really sealed very easily.

I have contacted westone about getting them refit, but I have had them for less than 2 years, and can't really justify buying new ones or spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on them. When I bought them it was because I had a bonus to spend - that is not the case now. It has been over a year, so there is no warranty on them anymore.

I am not going to do anything until I hear from Westone, but if it proves to be too expensive to have them refit, is there anything I can do to try to improve them? I really just need to make them slightly bigger - my guess is that I could add a thin layer all the way around the canal portion, and that would help tremendously. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use to do this? They have silicone tips (I believe it is silicone), so I would need something that would adhere to that. Is there a liquid silicone rubber out there I could apply in a very thin layer?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back