DIY miniMinty MP3. MP3 player in a Altoids GUM tin!
Apr 10, 2006 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

headchange4u

500+ Head-Fier
I thought this was pretty cool. Check it out:

mini Minty MP3 Player

minty_red.jpg

Quote:

he birth of miniMinty

And so it came to pass, with the advent of Limor's Minty MP3 and miniaturization being what it was, that the masses yearned for an MP3 player of more slender dimensions. An iPod shuffle? Nay, they cried. No pazzazz. How about an EMP-Z Coin-Sized MP3 player? A What?

We realized satiating them would be no easy task. So we set out to design the successor to Minty MP3. How about if it fits in an Altoids gum tin? What if it charges its internal Lithium Ion Polymer battery over USB and mounts itself as a Mass Storage Device? And if it runs for 12+ hours on a full charge, looking slick all the while? We built it. They bought it. And so should you.

Programming :: How do I get firmware into the miniMinty?
You will be able to program the AT89C51SND1 yourself over USB using ATMEL's FLIP software. There are versions available for Windows as well as Linux. When you set the dip switch to the 'program' position and connect to it via USB, windows will recognize it as 'ATMEL AT89C51SND1' and ask for drivers. Cancel out of the driver installation and run FLIP. Select the correct chip, select the usb-connect option, load your firmware file, and hit the go button.

Key Functions :: The buttons make it do stuf, right?
The miniMinty has an On-Off slider switch and several buttons:
Track Next/Prev -- hold for fastfwd/reverse
function select button: volume->bass->mid->trebble->volume
function up/down buttons

SD Card Size :: Can I use SD cards big enough to fit all my goatse guy pictures?
We've been using 512MB SD cards for the most part and haven't experienced any issues. If we find problems with bigger cards, we'll fix 'em.

Source Code :: So where's the source.
The firmware is currently based heavily on ATMEL code, and compiles only on the pricey Keil compiler. We don't want to release anything publicly until it compiles under the GPL'd SDCC.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 5
I emailed them and requested to be notified when they get the boards/kits back in stock.

I really like the idea that you can swap out staorage (SD card). I got to thinking that something like this would be great for audiobooks. You could carry one book on each card and take a small library with you.

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 5
Cool idea.

I'd get one if they were slightly cheaper. I know that companies mass produce and get large discounts for bulk purchasing, so can make them more cheaply but it still winds up a tad expensive for one without a screen. Which is my main issue with it, no screen.

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 5
ah, I've been looking for this! I found the original mintyMP3, but I would have had to make/design my own boards, and the documentation wasn't very good. the person who worked on the project also seemed to have stopped working on the next version of the project.
Hopefully this one stays active. I'll get a board or two also when they get more =)

anyone know how good the DAC in this mini-minty is? it's the PCM1771

[edit]
PCM1771 seems compatible/replaceable with the PCM1773 which gives a line out rather than an amped output so that you can plug in a headphone amp.
[/edit]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back