DIY mini-to-mini
Jul 23, 2002 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

finleyville

100+ Head-Fier
O.K.

So I have decided to try to start making my own IC's. I have done a lot of searching on the web and on these forums. I would like to start out with a mini-to-mini IC first; I've heard these are the easiest. However, the majority of the information out there is for RCA hookups. I am a little confused on:

what type of wire to buy (cat-5, [un]insulated solid silver wire, ect.)

construction considerations (shielded, braided, wrapped around PVC tubing, sandwiched between two pieces of tape)

difference in construction between the RCA's and the mini's (besides the obvious plug types.)

Any guidance from members who have treaded this path before is much appreciated. Thanks!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 10
to be honest, I would just reccomend that you buy a pair of outlaw audio PCAs. Chances are they'll sound better than most things you could make, and they only cost $30.
smily_headphones1.gif

still, making your own could be more fun. don't let me stop you...

Jul 24, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 10
mini-IC's (I guess you are talking about 1/8'' connectors) are not the easiest to build, because the connectors are very tiny, and the connector has 3 wires to connect (stereo connector). RCA's are easier, they are bigger and just 2 wires to connect.

I wouldn't use solid core, because it breaks easily on regular use, I would use stranded. As to the shield, always use shielded cable, I would use braided instead of foiled, because foiled breaks more easily too.

As to the material, just use what you want.

Jul 24, 2002 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 10
I disagree with Ricky (big suprise). He is right that solid core breaks more easily but stranded has space between the strands that are subject to oxidation thus impeding electron flow.

Using a braided tinned-copper shield will help keep the solid core from breaking as will proper strain relief on the ends.

There are a lot of good designs out there and I would try a few until you find one you like. Regardless I would make sure that the wire you use is coated in teflon due to it's electrical properties as well as it's ability to withstand the heat from the soldering iron thus making cleaner-looking solder ends.

Some ideas to try:

Kimber-like braid
looping around a teflon tube

I would pick-up a good length of Cat5e plenum cable for your experimentation. Use cheap plugs until you find a formula that is pleasing to your ears. You might also try different guages and different formula wires (OCC, Single crystal, cryo, silver-plated copper, silver wire, etc).

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 10
I disagee with Nezer in most of his comments, but since most people here don't like do get into discussion with other people that think different than them, I won't get into more details, if I did I would be very probably accused of "thrashing" the thread, trolling, or something similar.

Jul 24, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 10
Just a suggestion, if you can find IBM type 1 token ring cable. That will proably the best.

Low capacitance teflon, shielded, and two pair. These cable electrically are better than cat.5 and sheilded. However the outer diameter is slightly big and might not fit mini connector.

Also use a length that is as short as possible (less than 1 meter, ifound 18" is good enough for most IC).

IBM type1 is on sale at radio shack for 32 cents per foot.

Jude is right, costwise you'll won't save much. Because connector cost $4 to $5 each, after you add shipping etc, it could easily cost $20. An Outlaw at $30 can save you a lot of hassle.

Jul 24, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 10
dvw: Yeah, my best self built interconnects so far are made of that.

edit: well, I confused the token ring type 1 cable with another type of cable, so actually my cables are not made of that.

Jul 24, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

dvw said...

Jude is right

jude usually is right, but I don't see where he posted in this thread...
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back