DIY loudspeakers using headphone drivers
Feb 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EYEdROP

500+ Head-Fier
I am using Coby CV 180 drivers inside toilet paper tubes to try to beat my laptop speakers performance. The tubes are taped together and are 64 cm long (same as bose wave radio waveguide). I have beat the performance of my laptop speakers in some respects. The tubes give them a suprising amount of bass response and the lack of a box makes the imaging incredible for what it is. On the flip side, Im having problems with bass resonance until about 200hz. The tubes rattle like crazy and make too much noise. Also, my laptop speakers are more accurate sounding. The tubes make the sound very tube like lol. The last issue I have is I don't have an amplifier that can push them loud enough without clipping. 

Just sharing one of my first DIY experiences. This is not meant to be serious, just experimenting with my extremely limited resources and funds. Having a lot of fun and realizing the advantages and difficulty of designing something yourself. Really makes you use your ears. 

Any suggestions to better the sound of these tubes, without spending money?  I was thinking of using old PVC pipe instead to cut resonance and make a better seal...

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 5
Sounds like a fun project.

Maybe try rolling off the bass with a blocking cap or in software.

You might also want to experiment with different tube lengths. What works for a given driver and set of design goals may not work for another. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 5
I just stuffed the tubes with some acoustic insulation I got from inside an old speaker box, seems to really help the tube like sound. Still have bass resonance issues, the rolls are too poorly taped together I think. More later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back