DIY Isolation
Dec 29, 2010 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ngower

100+ Head-Fier
I built a desk using an IKEA countertop a couple of years ago. It's solid birch and pretty sturdy. I've got a bit left over in my closet and I was curious how this would work for isolation on my Project Debut III? I'm not looking for anything fancy, but seeing as I have the material there, if there's anything it can do, why not, right?

I've got the Debut III sitting on an IKEA Lack side table right now, which is straight on my carpeted floor. Worth it?

I'll lock this thread after I get a consensus, couldn't really find anything in searching. Thanks a bunch guys!

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 3
Isolation is a tricky subject IME. 

I would say dont spend too much on any given option. Try 3 or 4 cheap things and pick for yourself. Maybe combine a few for good measure.

Pink insulating foam board - commonly used in construction
various types of balls (racket balls, tennis balls, super-balls {the extremely bouncy ones})
small inner-tubes like for a hand-truck about half full
smallish springs

The list goes on... The key is really experimentation rather than any single silver bullet.

Also, dont be afraid to set the TT directly on your balls skipping an intermediate board if thats the route you go with. I did that with my old REGA Planar-2 and it was pretty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back