DIY iPod lineout?
Oct 7, 2005 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

heeeraldo

100+ Head-Fier
has anyone made their own lineout-> mini connector from an unused cable?

I'd be tempted to try just to say I did, but I'd have no idea where to start...

Oct 7, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 8
The Holy Grail would be to develop a Pocket Dock that would get a true 75 Ohm S/PDIF digital signal out...
eek.gif

Whoever can successfully prototype and patent THAT will profit through licensing the technology to third-party iPod accessory suppliers...
tongue.gif

I know I'd buy one; imagine a rig like:

Apple iPod nano 4GB -> SendStation PocketDock Digital Line Out (S/PDIF) -> Boulder 2020 -> Boulder 2010 -> Boulder 2050 -> Westlake SM-1
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 8
I've been meaning to do this once I have some cash -- my plan is to make a Firewire-to-RCA cable and then just use the existing cable that came with the Ipod, since the connector is apparently a pain to work with.

Oct 7, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 8
A line out audio can be done. I've made about 10 so far. You can see the various links in this thread for all the info you need to make your own:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132916

Be sure to check the DIY cable gallery in the DIY forum for pics of different cables. Start at the last page and work your way back. Most of the pictures are at the end of the thread. There are also some pics on the last page of the ipodlinux forum link.

Oct 7, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 8
In principle an iPod S/PDIF output is not actually all that tall an ask. I have been idly thinking about it. Both TI an Cirrus do an appropriate chip. (CS8405 or DIT4096) Both however are TSSOP-28 package, and finding space inside an iPod to mount it would be hard to say the least. I suspect (but have not done the work to check) that either chip could be operated in hardware mode (and thus not require a microcontroller to program the needed functionality) to do the job, and also suspect that the right voltages an signals can be found (in particular a reset pulse) without needing any additional support logic. It is mostly then a matter of picking up a suitable power supply and taping into the I2S connection to the Wolfson DAC.

Installing such a beast would be close to black belt SMD work, but within the bounds of possibility.

There are spare pins on the current dock connector (although fast being allocated) so bringing the S/PDIF signal out would not be a problem.

Of course if Apple were to simply add a host mode USB driver to the OS, any Gen-4 iPod could output USB audio with only a simple adaptor plug (which Apple already sell.) But they don't, and almost certainly won't.

Oct 7, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 8
thanks for the links, gang.

would it be easier to start with one of ridax's connectors or to cut up one of the cables that came with the iPod (and are unnecessary for my needs)?

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis_Vaughan
In principle an iPod S/PDIF output is not actually all that tall an ask. I have been idly thinking about it. Both TI an Cirrus do an appropriate chip. (CS8405 or DIT4096) Both however are TSSOP-28 package, and finding space inside an iPod to mount it would be hard to say the least. I suspect (but have not done the work to check) that either chip could be operated in hardware mode (and thus not require a microcontroller to program the needed functionality) to do the job, and also suspect that the right voltages an signals can be found (in particular a reset pulse) without needing any additional support logic. It is mostly then a matter of picking up a suitable power supply and taping into the I2S connection to the Wolfson DAC.

Installing such a beast would be close to black belt SMD work, but within the bounds of possibility.

There are spare pins on the current dock connector (although fast being allocated) so bringing the S/PDIF signal out would not be a problem.

Of course if Apple were to simply add a host mode USB driver to the OS, any Gen-4 iPod could output USB audio with only a simple adaptor plug (which Apple already sell.) But they don't, and almost certainly won't.

god wouldnt that be cool?

an ipod ->microdac ->hornet??

damn why not, why wont apple let us have fun hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back