DIY Ipod classic 5th Gen, with Fiio K1, iMod, Battery, CF storage. Ultimate ipod?
Mar 17, 2016 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tonglongjeff

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

First thread that I've started on this site.

I was just wanting to hear your opinions on a project I was thinking of doing. After the recent launch of the Fiio K1. I was thinking about modding the venerable ipod classic 5th Gen with the Fiio amp inside it's case for a proper all in one setup without having to strap another external amp onto the back of it.

I've seen other mods such as the iMod for the classic ipods which bypass the logic boards components and create a direct path from the internal DAC. My idea was to wire the output directly into the input for the Fiio K1, then out into the headphone out.

The issue of volume control is no existent since the K1 has no physical volume control and is dependent on the digital volume of it's source.

I was also thinking of using a CF card for storage as it would leave more room to cram the extra hardware in the back. The extra power draw of the amp can be aided by a 3rd party battery for the ipod. I've heard batteries as large as 2000mah being made. I would be fine with using the thick back housing for this as well so there should be plenty of room.

I'd just need some help with wiring as I'm not that good at electronics and I'm not sure how the power sharing will work. I want to keep the ipod completely usable. For it to sync and charge from the original port with no hiccups.

Let me know what you guys think :)

I have a faulty ipod 5th gen coming my way from Ebay. It's a good base to start on.

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 2
Just realised while I was sitting on the toilet that there will be issues with the connection since the K1 is also a DAC. I can't believe I forgot this. Sighs, the size was so perfect too.

I think I might try to find another small portable amp that may fit the bill. maybe the e02i, e5 or e6 amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back