DIY IPod battery pack
Jan 24, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #16 of 20
Thanks for all the advice. I bought a selection of battery holders etc at the weekend. I'm going to stick with 8AAs, but I'll keep away from trickle charge circuits for the moment (I'm electronically illiterate).

I'm using a PocketDock with line-out already, and I've got a spare firewire cable. So I'll chop the firewire cable and hard wire it to the battery pack (using the black and the white wires - right?).

Now all I have to do is find a suitable container

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #17 of 20
Okay, excuse my possible noob-ness, but why not throw a voltage regulator infront of 10aa's? Set it to 11v (to be safe) and forget about it. Might let off a bit of heat, but nothing major.

Rob.

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #18 of 20
You can make a nice battery pack without understanding anything at all about electricity except the difference between + and -, however messing this up could cost you an expensive iPod repair.

Everyone is prone to dyslexia and reading comprehension issues, and trusting experts is a sure way to get hosed, sooner or later. The only safe way to proceed in getting +, - right here is to match what you're building against a working device provided by the original manufacturer.

Once you've cut your FireWire cable in half and stripped the power leads, you can plug one half into the iPod power supply. Next to this, snap a 9V snap connector with wire leads onto your battery holder loaded with AA cells. Take a volt meter (a $12 one is fine here!) and figure out which FireWire wires correspond to your battery leads, giving you the same positive voltage reading when you measure, going back and forth. Now, disconnect the battery holder, and hook up the other half of your FireWire cable to the battery leads as if you were reattaching it to the "live" FireWire cable.

In short, it is far more useful to understand the "scientific method" than to actually understand any science.

You should be highly confident at this point that you got this right, without having to trust any "expert". However, it is possible to get the above backwards. The above check was to save you the time of perhaps having to solder twice trial-and-error, it isn't an acceptable check before actually "going live" and pluggging into the iPod. Here, you have to measure the voltage at the SendStation iPod dock connector, and make sure you get the same +, - reading using your battery pack as using the Apple iPod power supply. This is tricky, you'll have to solder yourself a voltmeter probe extension made out of needles. (I happened to have such a probe already built as part of a pre-9/11 "travel" kit for connecting my modem on Sicilian islands, etc.)

Perhaps it is clear from the above that I don't really trust anybody, least of all myself. This advice may be controversial, orderly engineering society relies somewhat on trusting the advice of our elders. However, I believe that if you're not willing to follow the above steps, you should just buy a battery pack. The Solio is wonderful.

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #19 of 20
kloan made me a 8-aa version and it charges my ipod fine - no blow ups here!

Jan 24, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattb
I'm planning on building a battery pack for my iPod mini based on Ted Cashin's Band-Aid Battery Charger

Ted's design uses 8no AA batteries. Are there any benfits or dangers of using 10no AAs?

hehe.. i didnt even notice that link before.. i actually made the list in there! too bad it doesn't have the nifty label i designed for them..
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back