DIY in small spaces
May 20, 2014 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hembergler

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone have any tips on how to keep a workbench organized and clean in a small space? Right now I have a sprawling desk disaster of a work area, but I'll be moving into a small apartment soon and I'll have to be a lot more economical. Suggestions for nice parts bins or storage units? Thanks!

May 20, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi,

One suggestion which may or may not be of use for you: Consider going SMT.

Seriously - I went SMT about 13-14 years ago and haven't looked back since. The boards are so much easier to make, and your parts bins will fit in a small desk drawer. Sure, you'll need through-hole components every now and then, but for the most part - SMT FTW, as the kids say.

If you're curious enough to give it a try, I would suggest getting hold of a few 0805 parts - they are 8/100 of an inch long (2mm) by 5/100 (1,25mm) wide, and 100 resistors should set you back only a few dollars - just to try whether you feel comfortable handling them and soldering them in place. 0805 is - IMHO - a very nice starting point; large enough to be easy to handle, small enough to provide the benefits of SMT.

Also, what I found to be a great help when I was in a similar situation a few years ago, was to make a workbench overlay - basically just a piece of plywood with rubber feet on the bottom side, elevating it an inch or so from the desk. I found it to be of great use whenever I was working on a project, having lots of components, schematics etc, etc all over my desk - when it was time to get some soldering or measurements done, or going over some schematics, I just put the plywood down on top of whatever I was working on (it being cut slightly larger than my ESD mat, so I didn't have to scoop anything away to put it down - I then effectively had twice the desk area. Nice.

Finally, I installed kit which didn't absolutely HAVE to be on the desk below it - think PSUs, signal generator, dummy load, the solder station - I just drilled a few holes in the desk to fit banana and BNC jacks; lots of de-clutterization right there.

May 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the suggestions OddE, exactly the kind of helpful tips I was looking for :) Do you have any photos of your under-desk mounting?

May 20, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Some of the most productive engineers I have known had the most untidy desks. I work untidy, I can mostly lay my hands on anything. I think it's best not to try to adopt a working style that is not your own.

w

May 20, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 6
I don't have a problem being untidy in terms of productivity, but my next place is basically one big room--I don't want my corner of it to always look like a tornado hit it since it'll always be in view.

Your comment reminds me of Jim Williams:

May 21, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 6
  Thanks for the suggestions OddE, exactly the kind of helpful tips I was looking for :) Do you have any photos of your under-desk mounting?

-I don't, I'm afraid - this was a few years ago, and I have since moved to a place a bit more hobby-friendly.

Nothing fancy, though - I just used patent bands (I believe that's what they are called in the US as well - copper or steel bands about half an inch wide, with holes stamped for screws/nails every 3/4 of an inch or so. Cut to length, shaped them around the devices I wanted to secure, a couple of wood screws to secure them to the (old and battered) desk which served as my workbench at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back