DIY headphones?
Mar 1, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #16 of 22
Sorry Duggeh, but I actually prefer the aesthetics of your previous Orthodomes much more
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's pretty ambitious, hope it turns out well.

What sort of driver will you use? Piezo, stat, ortho, dynamic…?

Its to hold the AMT driver from a pair of Precide Ergo AMT headphones. Precide stuck with their Jecklin philosophy in chassis design but its really not the best one to go with for a driver that needs help getting the low bass out. You want to create a sound pressure area between the ear and the driver which is sealed, not totally open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry Duggeh, but I actually prefer the aesthetics of your previous Orthodomes much more
tongue.gif

The important thing is sound. I could care less how they look tbh. This housing will clamp the driver in place, offer ease of tuning any damping and is readily compatible with Stax lambda pads, so I don't have to make my own pads. It may be possible to adapt an SR-x0x headband too.

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've finalised the chassis design for a headphone I've been toying with for some time. Just got to find a fabrication place which can make it without bankrupting me now.

Housing_Final_5.png

With any luck, this and another project will be at Canjam.

Are you designing your own transducer too?
I did my own ribbon transducer phones some while back , but got to the stage where to take things further the costs would really start to climb!
The prototypes sounded pretty nice, warts an all.
Really enjoyed the project.
One day when i have a few spare £K laying about i would love to take it further.

biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #19 of 22
I looked into it, but the tooling I'd need is more sophisticated than I have and so are the costs. Precide have the right idea for a near range AMT with their variable pleat depth design, mechanically it offers similar advantages to what Soundlab do with their segmented membranes.

In a few years, when I'm out of university, I'll be able to throw some more money and effort at projects like these. I'd really like to do a 100% ground up headphone. Probably starting with stats or ribbons. moving coils and amts are mechanically more difficult for DIY because of the coil & magnet, and the diaphragm respectively. Pads are just a matter of sewing and patience.

The whole concept is just more fun to me than building amps or such.

I remember your ribbon headphone very well. Are you coming to Canjam? I'd be keen to hear it if you are.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #20 of 22
Hi Duggeh
Alas i am unlikely to make the can jam.
I did take them to a little informal meet a few years back.

After reading this thread i have just been reacquainting myself with them doing a little comparison with my Stax system.
I still love em,with some decent development they could be real sweeties.
I also intended to make a suitable amp for them too, something lovely and inefficient,
evil_smiley.gif
hehe.

Hope you do get to make your own transducer from scratch , it was the best diy audio buzz i have had ...well not literally buzz !
[ got to keep those resonances in check
tongue.gif
]

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #22 of 22
I've been working on my DIY cans. They're a mix of beats detox and ultrasones. Been fitting titanium drivers but so far nothing quite fits my needs. Any suggestions where I can find more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back