DIY headphones?
Jul 12, 2009 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

iHelp

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.

I'm planning to make my own headphones (full size).

Do you guys know where to buy drivers? Any other tips/advice for me? (I'm new at this.)

Thanks!

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 22
If you aren't going to make the drivers. Buy a set of headphones and take the drivers out of them. Then see how much better you can do than the man at whatever the original company managed under the scrutiny of the bean counters. Some drivers are easier to remove from their original housings than others of course...

Theres lot of play in making your own woody Grados from say, a stock SR-60. AKG drivers, generally are easy enough to get out. The drivers in the larger Sennheisers are modular parts and are removable but are (certainly in the case of the HD6x0/580) modular right down to the connection socket.

KSC-75 drivers are cheap to get ahold, quite good for what they are and damn easier to get out than their PX-100 rivals are.

I'd also suggest checking out the Orthodynamic Roundup for info on the many SFI driver DIY headphones...

Orthodome%20%234%20A.JPG

This was the most recent thread on the subject.

As for advice. Id say just experiment and see what happens.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might want to check out this driver from Mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KT-400290.pdf

Probably have to buy a handful of 'em in order to get two that match close enough, but they're only $5.14 each.

Good luck!

k

Is that for full-sized headphones?

My minimum is 30mm driver.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that for full-sized headphones?

I don't know. Do you consider Grados to be full-sized? Because this driver is quite similar to the one used in the Grados. Uses an Alnico magnet as well.

Quote:

My minimum is 30mm driver.

This one's just under 40mm.

k

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know. Do you consider Grados to be full-sized? Because this driver is quite similar to the one used in the Grados. Uses an Alnico magnet as well.

This one's just under 40mm.

k

Can you send the buying page? Thanks.

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 22
The specs don't really reveal a lot about these kinds of headphones. Are there any review or more 'human' information on getting these drivers? It seems that most headphones have the same frequency range, but the only difference is the form factor.

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 22
don't know any more about the drivers than I see in the datasheet. I only came across them when I was browsing through the Mouser catalog looking for something else.

k

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 22
Sorry, I didn't want to bump this thread much, BUT...

Do you guys have any drivers with LOW impedance? The "25CE500-RO" is 600 ohms
eek.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #12 of 22
This is a tweeter. I probably want a full range loudspeaker.

And yes, I did check Mouser, but the low impedance have a very bad freq. range.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SFI 32 ohm drivers

I remember searching Mouser for drivers to be used as part of a build and seeing some lower impedance ones, but I'm not gonna do that work for you; just search Mouser, they exist.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a tweeter. I probably want a full range loudspeaker.

It doesn't matter; that close to your ear, they reproduce bass frequencies very well. I've constructed a few pairs of SFI headphones, they sound fantastic when built well, capable of reproducing very low bass tones (120 ohm variant seems to have more bass).

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 22
I've finalised the chassis design for a headphone I've been toying with for some time. Just got to find a fabrication place which can make it without bankrupting me now.

Housing_Final_5.png

With any luck, this and another project will be at Canjam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back