DIY headphone recable questions
Nov 6, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 26
Thanks for the link, but those only go up to 6.5mm OD. The Vampire and Van den Hul starquad cables are 8.2mm and 7.8mm OD respectively.

My only concern with the Neutrik plug is its maximum cable OD (7mm). I'm sure plenty of heatshrink will solve that though.
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #17 of 26
Mind if i hijack your thread slightly?

I'm planning (at some point in the variable future) on a recable with removable cables (on my HF1). I'll most likely go for Mogami starquad, since it's fairly cheap and easy to obtain, but what to use to hardwire the connector to the driver?

If i used the mogami, it would seem silly to then make any upgraded cables in the future (like if i ever find anywhere to buy Cardas) since the weak link would be the bit that is permanently soldered in. I'd like to only have to do this once, as to do it too often increases the risk of damaging the drivers.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind if i hijack your thread slightly?

By all means!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning (at some point in the variable future) on a recable with removable cables (on my HF1). I'll most likely go for Mogami starquad, since it's fairly cheap and easy to obtain, but what to use to hardwire the connector to the driver?

If i used the mogami, it would seem silly to then make any upgraded cables in the future (like if i ever find anywhere to buy Cardas) since the weak link would be the bit that is permanently soldered in. I'd like to only have to do this once, as to do it too often increases the risk of damaging the drivers.

Hmm...well Van den Hul (no, I don't work for them!) offer a range of internal wiring solutions. I've used their internal wire before with good results, although I don't remember the model number I'm afraid.

However, I believe that copper is the best conductor out there, so I would go with as much (oxygen free) copper as you can physically fit in there. Some good quality thick speaker wire should do the trick.
The wires going from the driver terminals to the driver itself will be the weakest link, so I wouldn't worry too much about boutique internal cabling.

That's just my 2c of course, but so long as you have something half decent in there, I don't think the few cm of different cable is going to make a huge difference. The connectors will likely contribute as much difference IMHO.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #19 of 26
Hmm, kneel and deliver?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadesbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By all means!

Hmm...well Van den Hul (no, I don't work for them!) offer a range of internal wiring solutions. I've used their internal wire before with good results, although I don't remember the model number I'm afraid.

Do you happen to have any sugguestion as to where to get a hold of some?

Quote:

However, I believe that copper is the best conductor out there, so I would go with as much (oxygen free) copper as you can physically fit in there. Some good quality thick speaker wire should do the trick.
The wires going from the driver terminals to the driver itself will be the weakest link, so I wouldn't worry too much about boutique internal cabling.

That's just my 2c of course, but so long as you have something half decent in there, I don't think the few cm of different cable is going to make a huge difference. The connectors will likely contribute as much difference IMHO.

I have some seriously chunky copper speaker wire, but i think it might be a bit on the excessive side.

This is still very much in the research stage at the moment, as i want to woody them at the same time as the recable, and that's another project in itself
blink.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #20 of 26
I've got a pair of akg k240-m comming in, and planning to recable them. do you guys think its feasable to somehow glue a mini xlr plug , or another removable jack there to mimmic the k271's?

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by aych /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a pair of akg k240-m comming in, and planning to recable them. do you guys think its feasable to somehow glue a mini xlr plug , or another removable jack there to mimmic the k271's?

I believe the studio version of the K240 incorporates such a cable.

Alternatively, if you want to mod your existing ones, then it may be possible. It depends on how much room there is in that round bit that the cable enters, and how skilled you are!
Something like these might work.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #23 of 26
yes the studio version has them. the monitor ones dont. thats why im wondering, since they should be physically similar if I can do the same thing. thanks for the link, was looking for something similar.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesmondDavidH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh.. I don't want to go off topic but is there a place somewhere in the EU to send a pair of MS2 for a recable that will not cost me an arm?

I think it's a little too late for that.
wink.gif

You could try TigerStyle, run by MrJoshua.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #26 of 26
I'm glad I found this thread. Wanted to re-cable my new Denon d2000's and was thinking of going the expensive route(expensive Cardas wire). I think I will get the Mogami and not look back.
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back