DIY Headphone Modifications
Jun 7, 2010 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

7H3L457H0P3

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of Pioneer HDJ-1000 headphones about a year back and they served me great for 3 months until they snapped along the headband. I got by super-gluing it together every month or so until I gave up last Christmas. Long story short I have a pair of fairly expensive headphones which as far as I know are fine electrically and mechanically with the exception of the busted chassis.

It probably was covered by warranty, but by super gluing the headphones together I probably voided it. If not its been almost a year already. In the mean time I'm quite happy with my new Technics (RP-DH1200's); they have served me well in the time since the pioneers kicked the bucket.

I'm looking forward to a new pair of Pioneer HDJ-2000's hopefully in the next month or so, but in the meantime has anyone every tried removing the drivers or salvaging parts. Perhaps even making a separate housing or re-purposing the headphones.

I am also working on a custom gaming desktop build. I'm still selecting components and am in the process of rendering case designs using Autodesk Inventor (Student License), but is there any chance I could shove those drivers in the case. I'm going for a over-sized gaming laptop style PC using desktop components and it would be awesome if I could mount the headphone drivers. Obviously I would have to fabricate this myself but I have money and time set aside for this ($1000 US) if anyone is interested for a later off topic discussion.

If anyone has any idea regarding potentially fabricating a new housing for the components (in the form of headphones) any help would be appreciated. Resources, videos, personal knowledge are all good. And if anyone knows of any good online retailers; should I have to buy more components, I'll take any suggestions I can get.

I realize this might not be economical, but I like the idea of personalizing my headphones. If it comes down to it I wouldn't mind spending $300 US, but would like to keep it around that ballpark.

Furthermore, I'm fairly new to the tech side of headphones so forgive me if I misuse any terminology. Maybe you can help me out if you have any guides. Thanks, I'll see you online.

7H3 L457 H0P3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back