Diy headphone cable Canada
Sep 16, 2019 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ls13coco

100+ Head-Fier
I'm finally taking the plunge on building some headphone cables as I've started using my AKG 712 a lot more, which has an awful cable. Figured I'd make a balanced cable for the Sundara and HD6xx while I'm at it. I compiled a list on redco and also paracordplanet but shipping can be a bit of a B and paracordplanet won't even ship to my location.

Done some time researching, but now I'm turning to help on here if there is anywhere else I should be looking.
Cheers :)

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi @Is12coco,

Unfortunately, I'm not in BC so can't help you source locally but what I can help with is offer some general suggestions.

Depending where you are in BC, there should be some good pro audio shops around which have said parts, especially good quality cable for a few dollars (shouldn't be more than $ 10 per m), you may be after though the concern would be more the balanced connector termination or end plug as usually most pro shops don't have those.

Sometimes, also if you can find a good electronics parts shop near you or somewhere in BC, they should also be able to help you find what you need too.

A decent soldering iron is recommended as is decent soldering wire (No Lead is preferred).

Also, just to practice soldering connections, I would suggest usually basic CAT5/CAT6 cable just to practice, cheaper to work with.

Hope you have a great day !

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi @Is12coco,

Unfortunately, I'm not in BC so can't help you source locally but what I can help with is offer some general suggestions.

Depending where you are in BC, there should be some good pro audio shops around which have said parts, especially good quality cable for a few dollars (shouldn't be more than $ 10 per m), you may be after though the concern would be more the balanced connector termination or end plug as usually most pro shops don't have those.

Sometimes, also if you can find a good electronics parts shop near you or somewhere in BC, they should also be able to help you find what you need too.

A decent soldering iron is recommended as is decent soldering wire (No Lead is preferred).

Also, just to practice soldering connections, I would suggest usually basic CAT5/CAT6 cable just to practice, cheaper to work with.

Thanks, appreciate the info! Yes the connectors definitely seem to be harder to find, if I don't have luck locally I may just order everything I need to make cables for all my headphones minus a few to negate shipping costs.

I'll check around for shops in BC, and in Victoria here before I pull the trigger. :)

Luckily I already have all the tools needed to do this, I ordered the soldering kit, solder, heat shrink, helping hand, heat gun etc a couple years ago as I intended to make balanced cables, but I never got a balanced amp until recent times.

Good info there, maybe I will even practice with some old cables laying around that I can cut into. :)

Sep 18, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks, appreciate the info! Yes the connectors definitely seem to be harder to find, if I don't have luck locally I may just order everything I need to make cables for all my headphones minus a few to negate shipping costs.

I'll check around for shops in BC, and in Victoria here before I pull the trigger. :)

Luckily I already have all the tools needed to do this, I ordered the soldering kit, solder, heat shrink, helping hand, heat gun etc a couple years ago as I intended to make balanced cables, but I never got a balanced amp until recent times.

Good info there, maybe I will even practice with some old cables laying around that I can cut into. :)

Glad to help, @1s13coco,

Yes, finding connectors can be a potential pain, there are very few covenient places online to find at least decent quality connectors, especially if one is just practising or just testing to see what works unless you get find a good wholesale or bulk buy place in China or asia which may be even more complicated, never mind factoring in shipping.

Be interested to see how things work out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back