DIY headphone amp recomendation
Jan 3, 2006 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MiRaCL

Head-Fier
Hello

Im going to buy the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80ohm headphones next week,and im thinking about building myself a headphone amp.
I haven a headphone out jack on my Sansui CA-2000 preamp that works well,but it would be sweeter with a headphone amp.

I've read alot on this forum and around the web about diy headphone amps,but i havent come to any conclusions on which one to choose.
I don't ned a pocket amp,so just forget about those.
I've looked at the Pimeta wich looks nice. Btw,what is the totalt cost for this amd?
The Cordia Aria amp looks very sweet,but to expensive to begin with for me.

Price range,max 250$ ? Usual or tube.
Anyone got any recomendations?

PS:I live in Norway,so if any Norwegians reads this,pm me if you have any ideas,would be great if anyone got lists of part i can purchase at Elfa.

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 6
well the Millet is a good match with those phones and costs around $150-200 USD,
M^3 seem really popular I think you can make one with that budget

Pimeta's are good (and easy from what I hear) + there's lots of support if something doesnt work right.

bear in mind that if this is your first project leave yourself some headroom, in case you mess up. do you already have tools (DMM, Soldering Iron, Drill)? they alone can eat up your budget

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
well the Millet is a good match with those phones and costs around $150-200 USD,

Pimeta's are good (and easy from what I hear) + there's lots of support if something doesnt work right.

bear in mind that if this is your first project leave yourself some headroom, in case you mess up. do you already have tools (DMM, Soldering Iron, Drill)? they alone can eat up your budget

It will be my first project when i comes to buiding audio gear,i've got an electronics education,but that's many years ago,so i have forgotten much of all that.
I have All the Equipment i need to make something like this atleast
smily_headphones1.gif

The only thing that troubles me is that i probably have to make en circuit board myself, but i found a diy guide on this,so it shouldn't be a problem.

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb

You can, but it probably won't have a case (unless you build your own case or have one lying around), if you give it a nice power supply.

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 6
Hmm,looked at the Millet Hybrid Amplifier now,and the guide on how to build one,this one looks nice
smily_headphones1.gif
Just have to calculate the totalt cost,and see if i can find all the parts here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back