DIY HD800 Cables, need some tips and feedback.
Aug 30, 2010 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Backwardsman

New Head-Fier
The construction I think about now consists of 4 braided cotton-isolated 0,5mm pure silver conductors.
It would look like this:
isolerflata_500.jpg

Furutech FP-704 connector
FP-703_500.jpg

Connected to stock HD800 connectors and some shrinking-tube too nice it up.

I'm somewhat worried that the cable will be too stiff, or the conductors being too thick.

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
I'm somewhat worried that the cable will be too stiff, or the conductors being too thick.

These are valid concerns. 

Experiment with less expensive headphones until you are comfortable with the more expensive ones. 

Despite what some may say, it does not take an eight gauge wire (2 actually...) to get 1v from the amp to the headphone. Try 24 or 26. you could even go thinner but durability suffers.

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 14
stiffness is going to be cause by the number of strands per conductor as well as the sheathing. The higher the strand count, the more flexible/less microphonic the cable. I think the cotton ought to be fine, depends on how tightly woven it is I suppose. That's why most pro cable companies use polyethelyne for their flexibility (greater than teflon I believe)

You're just going to ask yourself honestly what your priorities are ...are you going for aesthetics over praticality, or perhaps performance above all else? Once you figure that out, the rest should just come to you 
L3000.gif

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 14
Well, performance comes in first hand. But I don't want a cable that is so stiff that the headphones can float in the air.
Making the cable is pretty expensive (ca 150$), and I can´t see any reason to make it to another headphone before hd800 as it can easily be attached or removed due the connectors.The only important thing is to make sure that + is + and - is - so nothing gets short-circuited.

Any other ideas on conductors to use?

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 14
I've received the connectors now for the HD800, and they are way beyond my imagination, how the hell does the crap work? >< Feels like it's easier to solder the cable directly on the headphone.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 14
From what I've heard a cable with 4x0,5mm silver-conductors would be about as stiff as a normal power chord, so that's ok.

I would like some kind of coating for the silver to stop it from oxidize. Anyone got some tips?

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 14
Pure silver doesn't oxidize.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 14
nikongod, your right,  it seems my answer is only partly correct.

wikipedia says:
Silver is stable in pure air and water, but tarnishes when it is exposed to air or water containing ozone or hydrogen sulfide to form a black layer of silver sulfide [...].
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver)

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
nikongod, your right,  it seems my answer is only partly correct.

wikipedia says:
Silver is stable in pure air and water, but tarnishes when it is exposed to air or water containing ozone or hydrogen sulfide to form a black layer of silver sulfide [...].
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver)

But there's no harm in it, as with copper it's only impact is visual, which is nicely eliminated by sleeving it in that cotton tube.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #11 of 14
well actually you were totally correct, it doesnt oxidize, it sulphurizes :wink: but poster above, sorry but you are not correct; copper oxide is BAD for audio, as its not a good conductor and causes serious degradation of the signal and eventually physical properties of the metal, where silver sulphide is still a better conductor than pure fresh copper. 

the OP's proposed cable would be a bit stiff but not over the top. if you must use cotton (silk is actually more flexible) its quite difficult to thread through multifilament nylon techflex, the normal microphonic as hell techflex goes on easy, but not the soft black nylon. unless its quite a bit bigger than the braid. you could add a shield or tefloin tape over the braid to make it easier to thread, but I definitely recommend using 26AWG. 24 is what you have actually 0.5mm is about 24.5AWG

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 14
The tarnishing of silver is an oxidizing reaction. Sulfur or oxygen doesn't mater.

Copper oxide is a lousy conductor indeed, but is only limited to the very outermost layer as the tarnish itself hinders further oxidation.
So unless the copper strands are extremely thin, the overall conductivity of the cable only suffers in a minute way. The same applies to silver.

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 14
what like stranded copper or fine copper trace for example??..... and as we know the skin effect means that fast signals like to travel on the outer layer of the conductor. not so much in the audio band, but digital or power signals definitely exist in this band

how can a reaction that results in sulphur and not oxide and is caused by sulphur in the air be an oxidizing effect? a tarnishing effect yes, but wouldnt an oxidizing effect naturally need to be a reaction that results in an oxide?

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #14 of 14
'outermost layers' I've understood to be the outermost atom layers, so we're talking nanometres here. Copper traces would be in the order of microns?

The oxidizing number of silver increases from 0 to 1 (Ag to Ag2S), hence an oxidation has occurred. 
Oxidation is a bit of a mis-nomer, in the beginning it was believed that only oxygen could cause this kind of reaction.

Further reading

Users who are viewing this thread

Back