DIY HD600 Cable Upgrade?
Nov 1, 2003 at 10:17 AM Post #17 of 20
Hello! New on this Forum but old problem...
I want to build a replacement cable following the "Orpheus-design" from above. Consequent channel separation makes sense.
Some questions:
1. Is shielding really necessary?
2. Doesn't the shield work as an EMI-antenna when connected to one side (amp-output) only?
3. When connected to the other end (earpieces) too, the signal takes its way back via the shielding (because of the lower resistance). Would a small RESISTOR help the signal taking the way via the return-conductor?
4. Is the quad-philosophy (2x2 conductors for each channel) a good idea?

Thanx
280smile.gif

Nov 2, 2003 at 10:44 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

1. Is shielding really necessary?

nope.
Quote:

2. Doesn't the shield work as an EMI-antenna when connected to one side (amp-output) only?

well, connecting it to the heaphone won't do nothing. and you need to ground it somewhere.
Quote:

3. When connected to the other end (earpieces) too, the signal takes its way back via the shielding (because of the lower resistance). Would a small RESISTOR help the signal taking the way via the return-conductor?

not sure what you mean... but the answer is probably no. your normal headphone cable is wired the same way, but maybe with a wire instead of the shield.
Quote:

4. Is the quad-philosophy (2x2 conductors for each channel) a good idea?

depends on how you use it. the Cardas hd600 replacement cable is also a quad cable... same with equinox. you can have the same thing for much less. Cardas uses copper stranding... so does the Canare. probably the same performance between the two (the Canare and the Cardas/Equinox i mean.) though, they are wired a little differently. i used to wire the pairs in the quad cable together as they are intended, and this results in a low gauge conductor. however, i made a pure silver cable for a customer once that used much thinner wires than in the Canare, and it performed very well. so, i'm thinking you might not need all that copper for the signal wires. so, maybe you can just wire one single wire for each signal (left/right) and use the leftover 2 wires for the return, bypassing the shield (but still tying grounding the shield.) that's probably how Cardas did it.... dunno. you can try for yourself.

i have made quite a few cables for k1000 users now, and i'm thinking my original idea is too bulky for the hd600. i think it's good for the akg k1000 cause the cable leading to the headphone is thin and the replacement section can just sit on the floor or desk. but the wire for the hd600 has to go all the way to the head. so, probably one length of the l4e6s is fine... or that other thinner canare star quad (forgot the model number.) probably don't need so much copper with that little current anyway. ...one length of the Canare would be fine enough to match or even surpass the performance of the Cardas or Equinox anyway.

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #19 of 20
orpheus did a really good job of explaining things. but, i'm a bit confused on soldering the connections. there are two wires going into each side, one is send and one is return. there are three connections on the headphone plug, left, right, and ground. i know the left send and right send would be soldered to left and right connections on the headphone plug. but, where do the return wires get soldered to? and also, what do i solder for ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back