DIY HD590 cable upgrade?
May 20, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #61 of 78
Hi, I will be a new owner of 590. Could you guys repost the pictures? I am really interested to make a cable by myself.

Thanks.
Roy

EDIT: Forget it, I can see Taphil's pictures although not very clear. Thanks for information. On my way to Radioshack.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #62 of 78
Hi Orpheus,

I read through this thread and glad to see those guys could make their cables for 590 with your help. My 590 will arrive today and I am ready to order the parts to make my cable. I also have a HD497. Although it is not worth to invest $100+ on cable for my 497, I feel the stock cable for 497 is too crappy and will be broken someday. So I decided to make a cable for it too. I have several questions which I hope you can answer:

For 590 cable, can I use the L-2T2S (2 conductor) or I should stay with L-4E6S?

For 497 cable, I think it should be very similar to those of 580/600. Which kind of 2.5mm connecter you used? I pull out the cable from 497 and find the connecter is actually smaller than those from Tenec. How can you insert the connecter into 600? Should I use 2 wire of L-2T2S or one L-4E6S for 497? Which is better?

May 21, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #63 of 78
well, the l-4e6s will give you the best performance... it's cheap anyway... like $0.30/ft. however, it's a little thick, so some people used the l-4e5c which has a narrower profile. but still has the star quad configuration you want.

as for the connectors, i dunno what your headphone uses.... but the hd600 uses special connectors that you can't buy. that's what most companies like Stefan Audioart and Clou just take prebuilt connectors and splice them. of course, that's a pretty bad way to do it.... but it's the only want to make them unless you can custom manufacture them like Cardas.

anyway... if you need a 2.5mm connector, try to find the thinest one available. not sure which ones are the smallest.... neutrik and switchcraft always make good stuff, but might not be small enough.

May 27, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #64 of 78
Hi,

Thanks for information. I decide to follow the way Taphil did to make 590 cable.

For HD497 cable, its 2.5mm mono connector is very small, I guess I cannot find a tiny connecter to fit the hole. So I decide to use the drill to make the hole larger. Also I cannot find a 2.5mm mono connector with metal barrel. Then only one is with black plastic barrel and it is "huge". So I will use the stereo 2.5mm connecter. I will only use the inner conductor for connection.

One question. Does Stefan 5809/600 cable use single Canare L-4E6S? If so, then I can use Canare L-4E6S for my 497. I would use 4 conductors for left and right channel. My concern is the signal line is actually not shielded. But I don't care the sound quality for 497. Should I use 2 wire design? The reason I make cable for it is the stock cable is too crappy that it will break someday for sure. I am not using it.

Thanks.
Roy

May 28, 2003 at 6:41 AM Post #65 of 78
i'm sorry.... i don't think i understand your question. the canare cable IS shielded... thus everything inside is shielded if you connect everything correctly... so i dunno what you mean.

and no, stefan does not use the canare cable. (well... maybe as oem... who knows...).... but i believe they are constructing their own, or hiring another company to make their cable.

and no.... i doubt your stock cable will "break." i have never broken any cable yet, no matter how fragile it looks. so if that's the only reason you want to do all this......... then i would suggest just using the stock.

May 28, 2003 at 1:47 PM Post #66 of 78
At Markertek

2.5mm TecNec submini plug. Part number AC122, fits the HD590 perfectly. I have built a couple fo cables using this plug. Don't know about the HD497 though.

AC122.jpg

Jun 1, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #67 of 78
Orpheus, I think shield means one wire should completely enclose the other wire. Well, if I made a cable for phones like 580, and I choose 2 conductors for left channel and 2 for right channel, then the one conductors for each channel will connect to ground......

As I will use 590 for PC sometimes, so I am thinking to make a cable with 2 3.5mm connectors. Then I use this connector to connect it to phone. So it like PC->3.5mm->cable->3.5mm->2side female connector->590 cable-> 590. So I do not need to plug/unplug the cable from sound card which is really awkard.

JMT, I heard that 2.5mm connector can be used for 590, but 497 won't accept it for sure. So I will use it but have to make the holes on 497 lager to fit it. Thanks for information!

Roy

Jun 1, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #68 of 78
Quote:

Orpheus, I think shield means one wire should completely enclose the other wire.

well... i guess you can say it that way. but usually the entire cable is shielded, not each individual wire. there's usually a braid/foil/spiral shield around the entire packaging of wires. so.......... i'm still not sure what you're picturing in your head.

here's the deal: if your cable is a shielded cable, and almost all standard cables are, then as long as you ground your shield, every wire inside is shielded. the only sections that are not shielded are those where you have stripped off the insulation and removed the shield.

Nov 4, 2003 at 7:44 PM Post #69 of 78
Sorry to dig this very old thread, but remembered it so I thought why bother with a completely new thread.

First off I want to thank the company that made this possible: Partco.

When I first started thinking about a new cable I was way off considering a rubbercable (with three conductors) which was meant for outdoor use, but it had quite thick conductors (1,5mm^2)... but then noticed this (requires login, username: "a", password: "a" works) cable that the company carried. The company was really perfect for my ideas, as it also carried neutrik 6,3mm (1/4") stereoplugs and 2,5mm stereoplugs.

I'm not much of a do-it-yourself person, so I contacted the firm and asked if they'd make the cable(s) for me.

They agreed, and I placed an order for two custom made cables with the lengths of 2,5 and 7 meters.

Total cost: 31,50 euros for both of the cables.

10 euros for the work, rest for the parts: neutrik plug 5,06e each, 2,5mm plugs 0,51e each and the cable 1,16e/meter.

Not a bad price IMHO, and the build-quality is excellent.

Really poor quality pics of the cables (7m alone on the table and 2,5m in use). UPDATED 6.11.2003 with better quality pics

Nov 4, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #71 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by Roy2001
Thanks for info. That's very good price, hope it is in US.

Question, how can you push the 3.5mm connector into 590?

I live in Finland... sorry
frown.gif

And for the question... what 3,5mm connector?
confused.gif

Nov 5, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #73 of 78
Hi Pace, the 3.5mm stereo connector I was talking about is the small end of the cable which you insert into HD590. The one on stock cable is smaller than regular one you can find in store.

Nov 5, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #74 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by Roy2001
Hi Pace, the 3.5mm stereo connector I was talking about is the small end of the cable which you insert into HD590. The one on stock cable is smaller than regular one you can find in store.

It is a 2,5mm one, not 3,5mm. But the plug didn't go in easily though... had to carve some plastic off the HD590s to make it fit in.

tortie: It is a finnish importing company so they probably aren't that intrested in international sales and thus have no english version of their site... unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back