DIY Grado Pads.
May 7, 2005 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

arspy87

100+ Head-Fier
(I have SR125s, by the way.) This started out as just a fun project just for the heck of it. I took some thick-ish foam and wrapped it tightly around the driver, cut it to fit, and then used hot glue to seal. After that, I wrapped some mesh speaker covering from some old speakers around the foam and glued that as well. The pads are about 1 inch in thickness, and about half an inch wide. Just simple hollowed-out cylinders. The pads stay on pretty well; the foam compresses slightly around the earcup protrusion that holds the stock pads.

Compared to my hole'd comfies, they sound great, surprisingly! The headphones are now circumaural, so a bit more comfy to my ears. The most noticeable improvement was the bass response, IMO - the headphones sound downright warm and punchy now (I've always found my SR125s a bit lean in the bass). I think the mids were just slightly attenuated (less spiky compared to my other pads), and the highs, as usual, are great. They certainly don't look that pretty, though. A pic:
grado_DIYpad.jpg

May 7, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 7
wow,just when i didn't think it was possible for the grados to get any uglier...

but comfort is good right? lol

May 7, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 7
If it sounds good, it is good! Nice work arspy.

"Those who sacrifice efficiency for beauty get what they deserve"

May 7, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nG
wow,just when i didn't think it was possible for the grados to get any uglier...

but comfort is good right? lol

lol

May 8, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 7
I see you also replaced the cable. They look like a whole new beast... but a pretty ugly one at that. Maybe I'll try something similar when I have time and spare material, but for now I'm happy with the 414 pads. Have you tried those? They cost almost nothing and sound great

May 8, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
I see you also replaced the cable. They look like a whole new beast... but a pretty ugly one at that. Maybe I'll try something similar when I have time and spare material, but for now I'm happy with the 414 pads. Have you tried those? They cost almost nothing and sound great

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the 414 pads yet...I'm very tempted to buy some soon though...
smily_headphones1.gif

I did indeed recable them. Actually, without the ugly DIY pads, I think they look rather attractive...
biggrin.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...125-modded.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back