DIY Grado liberators
Jan 16, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #16 of 25
IMHO, for what it's worth, I found that the Grado flat pads sound better on many models for most music genres. While you might add some air w/ the Liberators you would also loose some richness as these extend further out than the regular bowls, which will in turn force one to compensate a little by turning up the volume and that can't be good in the long run.

Better tweaking is w/ recabling but more costly. Additionally, you can only squeeze so much out of the lower end models which probably sound better As-Is. Know your models, some will lead to better soundstage while others provide a lush mid and some are Bass N Yo Face. You want it all-in-one, get an HP-1 or even PS-2.

On the other hand, try it if you like it.

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorta ... but liberators increase the distance of the driver from the ear, which a larger woody cup wouldn't have any affect on.

you could do wood that would also recess the driver so it's further from the ear...and it'd still be easier than making a liberator.

Liberator...that just a funny name for something you put on your head.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 25
the supplier for the guy who made these closed down if any is wonder why there no longer being made

May 7, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #20 of 25
Did anyone keep the schematic? The linked picture from iPatcH is no longer there
frown.gif

I'm eager to convert my MS-1s to MS-1000s

May 16, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #23 of 25
I had emailed Dark Audio in Feb about these, Here is an email I got March 15 about the Liberators, and replied that I was in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAudio
Dear Friend and Headphone Lover ; )

The production of Liberators for Grado headphones stopped in 2007, because we could not buy anymore the polyamide bars from Thyssen in small quantities. Although, only the polyamide from ThyssenKrupps Plastics Ltd (Germany) provides the right density and uniformity (among those that are availible in Europe). Therefore, we would be obliged now to buy from a resseller (this means much higher prices).
Also the machining cost and local taxes raised.
After making calculations, the price of liberators (a pair) will be about 100 EUR.

I am writing this message to all who are interested in liberators, in order to ask, if this price level is acceptable. Then we will be able to decide whether to buy materials and start production or not.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Alex

Dark Audio dot com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back