DIY Grado Gimbels - Ideas?
Oct 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

weeksy79

New Head-Fier
So carrying on with my restoration/mod project of my Grado SR325is, and I want to ask about the gimbels (I really hope that's the right word) on the Grados. I have seen in a few places (magnum mod, martins custom audio, etc.) the gimbels completely built from scratch with wooden blocks, rod tips and fixed rotation rods. Now I was never aiming to do that sort of work, but if anyone can provide any good links then I'll give them a read and who knows. But 2 simple things I would definitely like to try is creating some new pins that hold the cups to the gimbels and custom rod tips.

I was trying to come up with an idea for a metal, sprung pin that would be fixed to the gimbels and you could simply pull to release the cups. However soon realised that there would never be enough room between the gimbels and cups for a spring. So has anyone had a good idea for a removable pin system for Grados at all? Surely we can't be slaves to these hideous plastic monstrosities forever?

As for the rod tips, I think I will simply remove rubber cap and hot glue something a bit more aesthetically pleasing to it - sadly I can't use wood as it won't go with the theme of the headphone so any idea for nice metal rod tips are welcome!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back