DIY Gallery
Apr 30, 2004 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ixeo

500+ Head-Fier
i'm new here so please be gentle
tongue.gif

so here i am with an idea.. i'm a newbie here so i poke my nose around the forums a lot and i learnt about PIMETA, CMOY, PPA etc. before this amps i know of was only those sold in hi-fi shops which cost a kidney and a liver (to a student like me at least) and i learnt a lot.

i noticed that in the DIY Discussion forums, from time to time we have people posting about their problems, getting assistant from others. but at times we also have people sharing their newly born amp, be it a PPA or a MINT.

personally as a newbie, i love to look at other people's work. this gives me some idea, or insight as to what i want in my own amp. or how i want my amp to look like. but the problem is, we don't have a centralized place to post all these works in 1 central thread, and everybody create their own thread to display their work etc. that IS a good thing, however, for a person looking for ideas, wanting to see other ppl's work. going through so many threads is a difficult task indeed. (plus the search is down)

my idea is to have a DIY Gallery section, whereby you could split it to the most popular DIY amps. for example

PPA Gallery - 1 thread
PIMETA Gallery - 1 thread
CMOY Gallery - 1 thread

under each gallery thread, users can make entries of their amp.
information that should be included

> pictures (very important IMO, a picture is worth a thousand words)
> some basic info e.g. the idea behind your amp, what was the role of the amp? a maxed out home amp, a very good portable amp or a small amp to pocket around?
> all the parts used
i consider this important as this is what makes the amp, and sharing the parts you use + maybe where you ordered it plus product id makes it easier for other members of the forum get the part instead of asking over and over and over again
> time?
> cost?
> personal view regarding the amp, or how it compares to other amps you have (you may be biased, but its still some information)
> a link to a thread of his own for discussion

there should be no COMMENTS posted in the galleries, only entries of the amps. comments should be directed to the seperate thread or PM the user

Apr 30, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 8
good idea, we used to have one as a sticky, but i think most people wernt brave enough to post images of their DIY amps.

also another problem is that the images are usually hosted on their own webspace, after a few months or even weeks images get taken down because lack of banwidth and webspace.

very good idea however, or we can just start a sticky gallery with links to the orginal image thread so we can read other user's reply as well

May 1, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 8
As I recall, Rick removed the amp gallery sticky in response to Head-Fiers who complained that stickies were taking up too much space on any given forum. It was particularly annoying because they're pinned to the top of every page, automatically driving even the most recent threads farther down the page. The DIY forum was a prime example of that, with stickies comprising about a third of the threads that appeared.

That might have been why some folks were asking for a separate "stickies only" forum. I'm not really in favour of that idea, but I guess it's better than having the fora cluttered with stickies.

D.

Edit: added a word to aid clarity

May 1, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, I'm sure you could find some option to disable the sticky being displayed in every page or modify the code to do so, although it will affect all the forums.

Another option is to make a seperate forum template for the DIY forum and have a link displayed in between the VB control panel bar and the actual forum, but that doesn't solve the problem of pushing new topics down.

I guess the best way is to consolidate the stickys together in some how. Maybe one sticky that reference to other pages. Of course, it will make it harder to know when those topics are updated. Or... Make a sub-forum under DIY-audio that will contain the pictures. This way, the link to it will be at the top, but I don't think it will display at every page (but I'm not sure how it works with VB 3). You could either have one topic per amp, or let people post their own topic (for this, it would be better to have yet another sub-forum per amp). This option sounds better just because it appears vB 3 doesn't handle topics/forums with numerous pages very well.

This idea would look like:

Code:

Code:
[left]Head-Fi.org --DIY Gallery --Amps Pics --PPA Pics --MisterX Amp 1 --MisterX Amp 2 --Pimeta --CMOY --META24 [optional but probably a good idea] -- Important Info -- Subjective vs. measurements.. -- Diamond Buffer Abstracts -- DIY FORUM RULES !!!! -- Audio Amplifier POwer Output Testing -- DIY LINKS FEEDBACK -- DIY Links Resource[/left]

Sorry for the randomness; new ideas keeps popping up! And I chose to put MisterX there since his pictures of his amps at [H]ardOCP looks way too cool to check out which led me here :)

May 1, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 8
dreamnid, good idea
could just put DIY Gallery as a category/forum by itself and be a child forum to DIY Discussions

was ist los?
i was using pimeta and ppa as an example. obviously you can show case more than that.

to everyone else
nobody like this idea? nobody wants to share?
confused.gif

May 1, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 8
i love this idea, and seeing there are soo many picture threads (ie: portable gear pictures, home gear pictures, speaker pictures, amp, cd player ect ect.)
im sure we all love pictures
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back