DIY frequency response measurement system
Apr 5, 2012 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hybridfive

New Head-Fier
All right guys you will have to play along with me here. I've been modding my T50rp's with all the regulars (blutack, cotton balls, paxmat) over in the thread here on headfi. I really want to make measurements of my progress to know if I'm not just going crazy thinking half that stuff sounds better.

Here's my idea, let me know if it would work. Enter an old Yamaha YPAO mic from a reciever I have sitting around. If I took a mold of the side of my head and reverse filled it with an epoxy similar to DIY custom IEM I have seen online. By hooking up the YPAO mic to my PC and using software such as True RTA I could chart my measurements to almost exactly how I hear the world?

I'm sure something similar has already been attempted, anyone have any insight on this before I jump head first into a face full of ear mold?

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
All right guys you will have to play along with me here. I've been modding my T50rp's with all the regulars (blutack, cotton balls, paxmat) over in the thread here on headfi. I really want to make measurements of my progress to know if I'm not just going crazy thinking half that stuff sounds better.
Here's my idea, let me know if it would work. Enter an old Yamaha YPAO mic from a reciever I have sitting around. If I took a mold of the side of my head and reverse filled it with an epoxy similar to DIY custom IEM I have seen online. By hooking up the YPAO mic to my PC and using software such as True RTA I could chart my measurements to almost exactly how I hear the world?
I'm sure something similar has already been attempted, anyone have any insight on this before I jump head first into a face full of ear mold?

Will not work. Adding your pinna to the recording process complicates it quite a bit. You will have to eq everything you record to return it back to normal.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:Will not work. Adding your pinna to the recording process complicates it quite a bit. You will have to eq everything you record to return it back to normal.

So you'd suggest losing the ear mold and just having a smooth surface around the inset mic?

How about on the mic end of thing? Would a mic of this calibre be a good frequency recording device? I mean that's essentially what it was designed to do. I'd like to know if anyone has experimented with such an idea and if its even comparable to real recording devices.

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
So you'd suggest losing the ear mold and just having a smooth surface around the inset mic?
How about on the mic end of thing? Would a mic of this calibre be a good frequency recording device? I mean that's essentially what it was designed to do. I'd like to know if anyone has experimented with such an idea and if its even comparable to real recording devices.

Lose the ear mold UNLESS you understand how to properly apply EQ to ear recordings for measurement purposes.

Look into an ECM8000 mic. They are cheap and are used specifically for measurement.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Look into an ECM8000 mic. They are cheap and are used specifically for measurement.

And have it calibrated if you want to do accurate FR measurements.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Lose the ear mold UNLESS you understand how to properly apply EQ to ear recordings for measurement purposes.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I will be buying one of these. I'm a long time lurker and respect your opinion thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back