DIY Fixed (un-detachable) Headphone Cables/Modded Headphones Thread
Jan 21, 2014 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

vantt1

Headphoneus Supremus
It isn't much, but it's a start. I might as well put it all in one place. Feel free to post your own mods!

Some rewired/modded sets of mine:

Rewired Sony MDR-zx300 with inline mic and Android media controls

I use an Android phone, and it's impossible to find a headphone that has an inline remote that works properly with Android. They're all made for iPhone, so only the play/pause button and call mic works, but the volume buttons don't do anything. This Sony MDR-zx300 has a cable taken from the bundled Samsung Galaxy S4 earphones in place of its original Y cable, complete with volume controls. They pretty much work on any Android phone now! 
yktf81j.jpg

G4khJaq.jpg

Rewired Samsung non-IEM earbuds

My Galaxy Note 2 came with some pretty nice IEMs - better than what Apple has to offer. But even considering the audio quality, I personally dislike IEMs because they have so much cable noise (i.e. when the cable knocks around, you hear all the noise) and it does a better job at removing earwax than Q-tips do. The problem is, as said before, it is impossible to find a good earphone that has an Android compatible inline remote in it, so I got a pair of earphones from an old Samsung MP3 player and rewired the drivers using the stock Note 2 earbud's cable. This new non-IEM earphone has a 15 mm driver (IEM driver was 8 mm) and bass reflex ports, and now has an inline mic and Android media controls.
wjfCIee.jpg

0E5TeWs.jpg

Weird 5 conductor plug Sony MDR-NC33 to normal 3 conductor plug

IEMs are good; I just don't like them. So to make more use out of the bundled proprietary Sony MDR-NC33 active noise cancelling in-ears that only work with the Sony Vaio Duo 11, I took out the ANC internals and put in a normal stereo mini jack.
H9nkx3i.jpg

R2ubbCo.jpg

z8tpj8h.jpg

Ronin Nomaster Bluetooth Stereo headphones turned wired

A nice Bluetooth headphone circuit board wasted in a cheap dollar shop headphone. Internals taken out!
96gnjmM.jpg

maKAA3L.jpg

Experimental DIY active nosie cancelling supra aural headphone (used to be the Ronin Nomasters)

The Sony MDR-NC33 proprietary-plugged internals were installed in this dollar shop headphone just for experimental purposes. It works reasonably well, but the headphone doesn't provide enough passive isolation for the active isolation to work properly.
RvnJlEK.jpg

CSjXzgR.jpg

Bluetooth Beats Studio (old)

Head-Fi's most hated headphone. These have actually gone through two other rewires previously. The first time, the noise cancelling microphones were disconnected to remove the bad ANC, the second time the whole circuit was bypassed. Now, the circuit has been removed altogether, and a Bluetooth circuit has been installed in its place. They can work passively as well, and due to the way the drivers are directly wired to both the circuit and the headphone jack, plugging an audio device into the headphone jack turns the headphone into a Bluetooth audio receiver!
GuNF6R2.jpg

yzTna8S.jpg

bNfMkeN.jpg

Rewired Sennheiser HD201

Two things I don't like about the HD201:
1. Excessively long Y cable
2. Lacks bass

This modded HD201 now has a shorter single sided cable and a built in Beats circuit board without active noise cancelling, so all it does is a little amplification and a 3 dB bass boost.

VihBlu8.jpg

KZkbIJA.jpg

dHc0Hx3.jpg

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 3
  I'm looking to add some terminators to un-detachable headphones soon-ish. This thread may be quite awesome for me. Going to get some cheapies to destroy before moving onto the nice stuff.

Sounds interesting! 

I got a few pairs of Apple Earbuds and EarPods to experiment with, I wonder what I can do with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back