DIY: Emotiva mini-X a-100 Headphone Amp Mod Guide
Dec 16, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #106 of 115
I'm actually thinking of getting this amp for my Planars. I'm on an Audeze kick as of late. I have the EL-8O and LCD-2f, looking into the LCD-XC. I think I'd run with the jumpers in place for awhile first. What type of DACs are you guys pairing with it? I'm thinking of a Schiit Modi Multibit or something similar. I wonder if that would be better than getting the Jotunheim with DAC option.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #107 of 115
  I'm actually thinking of getting this amp for my Planars. I'm on an Audeze kick as of late. I have the EL-8O and LCD-2f, looking into the LCD-XC. I think I'd run with the jumpers in place for awhile first. What type of DACs are you guys pairing with it? I'm thinking of a Schiit Modi Multibit or something similar. I wonder if that would be better than getting the Jotunheim with DAC option.

Schiit Bifrost Uber upgraded here.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #109 of 115

Have you tried running your more "sensitive" 'phones through this amp?

Each of my headphones have their own complimentary amps and I never use them with anything but. However I have tried the Denon AH-D5000's on the mini-X. It was a while ago so I cant remember the specifics, but I do recall I didnt think it was great but certainly listenable.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #110 of 115
  Each of my headphones have their own complimentary amps and I never use them with anything but. However I have tried the Denon AH-D5000's on the mini-X. It was a while ago so I cant remember the specifics, but I do recall I didnt think it was great but certainly listenable.

Hmmm. Then maybe going with a Jotunheim is better for me, since I don't have "hard" to drive 'phones. I just figured with "moooaaarr" power... anything would be great. :)

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #111 of 115
I recently revisited my unused Mini-X after doing the original mod posted here. Using a Switchcraft TRS jack and following the guide to a tee, I always had a buzz in the headphones and so didn't use it much because of that. Moving wires around and such didn't solve anything.

The TRS jack was grounded to the chassis through the sleeve, metal to metal, and I wondered if installing a 4 pin XLR Neutrik jack, with no grounding configured, would solve the issue. So, I bought a stepped drill bit and drilled out a 15/16 inch hole, mounted and wired/soldered the jack directly to the respective speaker terminals, bridged with 4 conductor Mogami wire. I used the same 220 ohm resistors of the guide and they work well with HE6se but I recently ordered some 120 and 160 ohm resistors to try for a bit more oomph.

Result is spectacular, buzz is eliminated, amp is silent and working extremely well, the amp is back in my rotation and sounds absolutely great with HE6se as well as my Dan Clark Aeon RT. Most all of my headphones are terminated with a 4 pin XLR plug so this route made good sense. (No more adapter!) Using an un-grounded TRS jack would work just as well. Improper grounding was the cause. Anyway, old thread revived but this amp still holds its own and drives planars WELL! I also use a couple Bottlehead amps, a Woo WA2, and a Topping A90. The Emotiva has rejoined the party!

20220128-144349.jpg
20220128-141449.jpg
20220128-144028.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #113 of 115
Awesome! Glad to hear someone out there still remembers/uses this amp! I'm still rockin mine with the same HE-500 headphones!

Great combo! Awesome guide. Thanks a ton for laying it out so well. These amps are REALLY GOOD! (as you know). Wish I was on to the grounding issue a while back. Just didn't know enough about how to fix it. But now it's extremely great. My Aeon RT with it is incredible. Thank you sir!

Edit: Funny thing is that I have a BasX -A100 and I think that amp using the headphone jack is worse than the modded Mini-X. I've been thinking of gutting that TRS jack out of it and doing the same XLR replacement. Have no idea why the performance is worse for me.

Edit2: I just received the new resistors and replaced the 220 ohm ones with 120 ohm. Surprisingly, there was not too much difference. I still need the volume dial past noon to drive the Aeon RT and HE6se to my liking. I am going to keep the 120's inside but may just end up removing the resistors altogether. Regardless, the amp is dead quiet and I am really liking how it is performing.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #114 of 115
Awesome! Glad to hear someone out there still remembers/uses this amp! I'm still rockin mine with the same HE-500 headphones!

In your opinion, could there be a gain in audio quality in the exchange of the original caps for others of better quality, such as those used in the Matrix amp?
I didn't find anything about such a level of modification in this emotiva, but I've seen projects with good results in other amps.

Zerozone-2-pces-nichicon-kg-tipo-i-10000uf-50v-capacitor-eletrol-tico-de-udio-L9-43.jpg

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #115 of 115
In your opinion, could there be a gain in audio quality in the exchange of the original caps for others of better quality, such as those used in the Matrix amp?
I didn't find anything about such a level of modification in this emotiva, but I've seen projects with good results in other amps.

Zerozone-2-pces-nichicon-kg-tipo-i-10000uf-50v-capacitor-eletrol-tico-de-udio-L9-43.jpg
Couldn't tell on this one, never read about anyone swapping caps on this amp. Those are certainly nice caps and of better quality, but whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze is anyone's guess at this point. I have my doubts one would be able to tell a difference, but if you do go through with it let us know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back