DIY Dynamic UIEM[Follow Me on journey]
May 25, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
Quote:
pretty darn far.... So everyone I'm assuming was wondering how the whole UV tool works and how expensive and dangerous it is... Please view the following and read my disclaimer...  My westone UM3X had recently become lose where the cable/flex wire, meets the driver housing... A little dab of Light cure/UV adhesive, and 40 seconds of curing=NO MORE TWISTY CABLE:D

I have to say that is really cool, how much does the acrylic you're using to make this and the uv light cost?

the UV light was 150.00 and the acrylic/plastic was 50.00 for 28oZ.  

May 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:
Quote:
the UV light was 150.00 and the acrylic/plastic was 50.00 for 28oZ.  

aha , I'll just put away my wallet then :)

I'm sure there's other ways to obtain a uv source?

What makes your dental light work better than say an ordinary wide spectrum UV lamp?

what is the specs on your "Ordinary Wide Spectrum UV lamp"  Well my lamp is very localized and will be much stronger.  I get options such as power and how long to cure.

May 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
what is the specs on your "Ordinary Wide Spectrum UV lamp"  Well my lamp is very localized and will be much stronger.  I get options such as power and how long to cure.

So you can buy UV lamp kits for curing acrylic nails. Now obviously these are intended for a different purpose but the principal is the same as they both emit UV radiation, admittedly your lamp is probably made to emit only the part of the spectrum responsible for curing and so will be much more efficient and will work quicker too since more of the light is useful. 

Although the time taken will be longer it shouldn't take too much longer as I'm sure the more professional UV curing kits will probably be more efficient too although they don't cost too much more than their consumer equivalent and are readily available through amazon. 

They usually range from having 14-32 Watt output although the professional products have higher outputs, and I suppose more of the light emitted will be useful and will therefore cure the acrylic quicker. Of course there is then the option of buying actual lamps( or bulbs, like the ones on your ceiling ) that emit UV light, such as those used for black lighting although I suppose without the tint, however these are much more obscure.

I was just thinking about this to make this sort of undertaking more convenient to the average person who doesn't have access to a dental light. You never know you might just popularize this undertaking?

May 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

So you can buy UV lamp kits for curing acrylic nails. Now obviously these are intended for a different purpose but the principal is the same as they both emit UV radiation, admittedly your lamp is probably made to emit only the part of the spectrum responsible for curing and so will be much more efficient and will work quicker too since more of the light is useful. 

Although the time taken will be longer it shouldn't take too much longer as I'm sure the more professional UV curing kits will probably be more efficient too although they don't cost too much more than their consumer equivalent and are readily available through amazon. 

They usually range from having 14-32 Watt output although the professional products have higher outputs, and I suppose more of the light emitted will be useful and will therefore cure the acrylic quicker. Of course there is then the option of buying actual lamps( or bulbs, like the ones on your ceiling ) that emit UV light, such as those used for black lighting although I suppose without the tint, however these are much more obscure.

I was just thinking about this to make this sort of undertaking more convenient to the average person who doesn't have access to a dental light. You never know you might just popularize this undertaking?

or you could find one on ebay lol... Also the concentration will not be high enough to cure the Light cure Dentin adhesive...  power has nothing to do with speed. If you can't have the correct output, then it will not cure. period.  the UV nail light is weak as heck...  You would not be able to have the light close enough to the spot that needed to be cured, so the adhesive would remain runny and gooey. 

May 28, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #21 of 28
BIG update coming in with pictures and videos.  I shall edit this post in a few.  I realize that my voice isn't as deep as some of you may like... I'm 17 regardless... Never hurts to be a late bloomer 
beerchug.gif

Pictures: 

FIY: ^^^ THIS IS A REMOVEABLE CABLE

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQAQErfUCB0&feature=plcp
I try my best to explain everything! Feel free to ask questions.

May 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #23 of 28
im digging your vision delladood,

ive been a diy enthusiast for 30+ years, ive also worked with my hands all that time, but you are trying to do something i would hesitate from trying.

iem drivers and parts are so small, trying to assemble it all and make it sound good is something id imagine may take a few tries?

i have been buying 'used' other peoples iems (checking first that their ears are a similar size to mine) then using my dremel slowly removing material where its to tight and adding some (nailvarnish/bondo) where its loose. im having good results, but the drivers and electronics work is already done for me, just the exterior fit work for me to do.

i did see some tf10 drivers for sale recently and considered trying to build a complete custom iem for myself, but i have fisher (in ears) making me a real custom ($90 for the work they do) ill see how the fit/mould/shape is when i get them back.

lol, i was thinking about making my full customs out of bondo or fiberglass  :D

as i dont have a UV light, or acrylic material of any kind......

have you already built a BA custom iem? pics/results compared to  purchased one?

May 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:
im digging your vision delladood,

ive been a diy enthusiast for 30+ years, ive also worked with my hands all that time, but you are trying to do something i would hesitate from trying.

iem drivers and parts are so small, trying to assemble it all and make it sound good is something id imagine may take a few tries?

i have been buying 'used' other peoples iems (checking first that their ears are a similar size to mine) then using my dremel slowly removing material where its to tight and adding some (nailvarnish/bondo) where its loose. im having good results, but the drivers and electronics work is already done for me, just the exterior fit work for me to do.

i did see some tf10 drivers for sale recently and considered trying to build a complete custom iem for myself, but i have fisher (in ears) making me a real custom ($90 for the work they do) ill see how the fit/mould/shape is when i get them back.

lol, i was thinking about making my full customs out of bondo or fiberglass  :D

as i dont have a UV light, or acrylic material of any kind......

have you already built a BA custom iem? pics/results compared to  purchased one?

I have not built a BA custom quite yet.  I'm looking more at universal IEM's right now.  But I am highly interested in doing a Triple crossover BA.  There is a major amount of difficulty involved with crossovers. The wiring is madly confusing, the capacitors are confusing, for me to do a BA with crossover would require a lot of time.  Chances are by the end of the summer, I will have experimented with a BA.  My heart sort of lies with good sounding dynamic IEM's.  My next step is likely to have a dual Dynamic setup.

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 28
Hey guys! I have ran out of time to do this project! I am selling absolutely ALL of the materials to make a homeade CIEM.  This includes 2 large cans of epoxy, a UV tool, 8 drivers, 2 furutech silver MMCX cables, 4 mmcx female plugs, UV glasses, sound damper, UV adhesive, 1 LB of Vegan Candelian Pure Beez Wax.

all for 150.00 will ship it quick if you wish.

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #27 of 28
haha no sir. I'm a crew member at a local fast food resturant(I'm going to be a senior In HS this year) my mom is a dental hygenist, I'm close with the owner of the practice that my Kim works at. So he told me where to get one and how to use it. I also have premium Adhesive/UV cure substance. Fixed my um3x like a charm and it only took 10 seconds exactly... The light is extremely painful to even be near....

please be sure to wear appropriate protective googles to protect your eyes from UV radiation damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back