DIY disaster
Sep 26, 2004 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

S_Dedalus

1000+ Head-Fier
Today I discovered just how stupid it is to mess around with untested audio equipment at 5 AM. I was rebuilding my amp, making it more like a PPA than a meta, and was too impatient to find my crap headphones to try it out. I forgot to connect the output jack ground wire, and now my SR-80's are toast. Just a reminder to everybody, test everything you build, thoroughly, and don't plug in your best cans into something you made early in the morning, until after you've gotten some sleep.

Sep 26, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 9
Think positive: now you have an excuse to get better cans!
orphsmile.gif

Sep 26, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 9
Oh, I was already planning on getting a pair of MS-2's next month, but it still sucks when you destroy a $95 pair of cans because of utter stupidity. I should have just ordered a PPA board, it would be a lot easier to troubleshoot than a point to point jury rig.

Sep 26, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 9
I think it's time to update your sig.
rolleyes.gif

Btw as an after note don't just turn it on plug it in an assume all is good when ur cheap phones still work. Whack your multimetre in and watch the dc. Then turn the amp off and on and watch the dc as you do that.

After building my gilmore amp and it was all working, and i listened for half an hour, i turned the amp off. Multimetre still connected to the outputs.
MY HEART STOPPED as i heard a nice thump and watched the DC on the output jump just over 750mV for about 2 seconds. But thankfully my Senns survived. I'm sure lowZ cans would have been destroyed by this!

Sep 26, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah, the first two amps I built, I was very cautious and tested pretty much at each step, but this time I was tired and in a hurry. Just complete stupidity on my part.
.75V would definately fry my cans

Sep 27, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Hey, just out of curiosity, can I buy the busted Grados off you?

Good point. You can probably send them in and get them repaired.

Sep 27, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 9
Actually, I hadn't thought of that. I was just planning on putting some portapro drivers or something into the body just for the heck of it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Hey, just out of curiosity, can I buy the busted Grados off you?

I'm going to see how much it will cost to repair, if it's more than I feel like paying I'll pm you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back