DIY Detachable cable mod for Earphones?
Dec 18, 2016 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bubblejuice

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of B&O H3s. The cable isn't very thick or sturdy. So before I end up ripping them right out of the earbud, i'd like to see if this is possible to do.

I've seen this type of detachable cable mod done to headphones, but I haven't been able to find anything for earphones.

Thanks for any and all info!

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Hey there!

Well, I'm not really a hardcore DIYer, nor have I ever come across a case similar to yours, but maybe I could give you some tips. :wink:

The most obvious thing to do would be to solder a few inches of wire on each driver of the earbuds, then end it up with a female jack connector on each wire, but that would add some weight tugged on your ears. Maybe you could try to find another connector, that would be smaller and lighter, like a 2.5mm jack connector or the fork plug used on the sennheiser HD25 and the likes.

I believe there are some earbuds with fully detachable cord out there, but you would certainely need to reprint the earbuds, and then install the drivers, so that you would have enough space to put the plugs. :/

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 3
  Hey there!

Well, I'm not really a hardcore DIYer, nor have I ever come across a case similar to yours, but maybe I could give you some tips. :wink:

The most obvious thing to do would be to solder a few inches of wire on each driver of the earbuds, then end it up with a female jack connector on each wire, but that would add some weight tugged on your ears. Maybe you could try to find another connector, that would be smaller and lighter, like a 2.5mm jack connector or the fork plug used on the sennheiser HD25 and the likes.

I believe there are some earbuds with fully detachable cord out there, but you would certainely need to reprint the earbuds, and then install the drivers, so that you would have enough space to put the plugs. :/

Another user here helped me figure out the name of the part that Shure earphones use as the female connector. I may just take my EarPods and do a hot glue test with these connectors. Maybe they will work. If not, well I don't mind losing the EarPods lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back