DIY DAC
Jan 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hiyayhi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I am looking for an inexpensive solution for my o2.

I have had a look at the SkeletonDAC and the GrubDAC but I cannot work out where to buy the parts in Australia and / or the specific part numbers.

If you guys have any suggestions for me that would be great. Thanks.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 8
If your budget can extend as far as an ODAC, then I'd say get that, but it isn't really DIY since all you do is hook up the output. I'm not saying that just because you've got an O2, the ODAC is awesome in its own right.

If your budget is around grubDAC levels (or you just really want to build it yourself) then just get the kit from beezar.com, shipping to Aus isn't too bad. Buying individual items won't be cheaper, and you would still need the PCB anyway.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks, this is what I thought, I cannot get a kit though as they are all sold out.

I would buy an oDAC but they are a bit over my price range I may just save for one though.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 8
  Thanks, this is what I thought, I cannot get a kit though as they are all sold out.

I would buy an oDAC but they are a bit over my price range I may just save for one though.

GrubDACs will probably be back in stock after this weekend.  I just need some time to put all the little tiny parts in little tiny bags labeled with little tiny writing.  It's some work, but I have to have the time to do it.  It's what long weekends are for.
wink.gif

Meanwhile, there is plenty of stock for the pupDAC, which might be better (IMHO) than the ODAC, anyway.  It is certainly at a comparable level, technically - superior in some respects.  Again, that's MHO.  The SkeletonDAC is available, too - but Beezar stuff is pretty proportional in price and performance.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Awesome! Thank you very much, I'm actually going to Japan for 10 days :D so I will probably order it after I get back.

I fairly beginner solderer so I'm not sure how I would go with the PupDAC.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 8
  Awesome! Thank you very much, I'm actually going to Japan for 10 days :D so I will probably order it after I get back.

I fairly beginner solderer so I'm not sure how I would go with the PupDAC.

Just an FYI, but the PupDAC is not a beginner project.  Its performance is fantastic with good USB power, but it has a lot of SMD parts for the inexperienced.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 8

Just an FYI, but the PupDAC is not a beginner project.  Its performance is fantastic with good USB power, but it has a lot of SMD parts for the inexperienced.

This is what I thought, I probably shouldn't undertake something too risky as I have little experience with soldering, ifact the o2 was my first real project, before that I modded an xbox controller and built a little tiny micro controller by pickaxe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back