DIY DAC under $300?
Jan 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ZeNmAc

100+ Head-Fier
Title basically says it. I've been looking for a DAC and from what I've heard DIY is the way to go. My budget is basically $200, but I could stretch it to $300. I read good things about the gamma 2, just wondering if that's the best, or if I should build something else. I'm looking for a neutral sound signature with good detail and bass/treble extension.

This would be my first full scale DIY project, but I have soldiered/desoldiered before. Any suggestions for a DAC, and how long do you thing it would take me? If it would take a while I'll probably get a Nuforce uDAC for now until I can build this one.

Thanks for the help.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeNmAc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This would be my first full scale DIY project, but I have soldiered/desoldiered before. Any suggestions for a DAC, and how long do you thing it would take me? If it would take a while I'll probably get a Nuforce uDAC for now until I can build this one.

Thanks for the help.

A Gamma Y1 dac isn't the easiest to build mainly due to the very small parts you have to solder. Don't get me wrong it isn't impossible, but its fiddly. Depends how confident you are.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Title basically says it. I've been looking for a DAC and from what I've heard DIY is the way to go. My budget is basically $200, but I could stretch it to $300. I read good things about the gamma 2, just wondering if that's the best,.

The G2 is simply amazing. I'm on my 3rd build, and this time I'm holding onto it
wink.gif

On the downside the smd work can be a headache if you've never done it before, but as long as you take your time and use lots of flux you'll be fine. A G2 will run you around $250 to build (with panels).

Oh, and both units I built required around 40 hours to burn in, before they sounded optimal. This may be different for other people, not sure.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh right, didn't realise it was frowned upon unless in the appropriate place. No probs. Thanks for letting me know.

bigsmile_face.gif

All cool Mark, just thought I’d point it out
smile_phones.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixeljedi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The G2 is simply amazing. I'm on my 3rd build, and this time I'm holding onto it
wink.gif

On the downside the smd work can be a headache if you've never done it before, but as long as you take your time and use lots of flux you'll be fine. A G2 will run you around $250 to build (with panels).

Oh, and both units I built required around 40 hours to burn in, before they sounded optimal. This may be different for other people, not sure.

I started looking at the instructions. It looks really complicated
eek.gif
. Lots of parts. So how exactly does it work, I build a y1 and a y2? All of the information seems to be spread around, like there are no clear-cut instructions. I'd be fine with doing complicated soldering as long as I know what to do. TBH I'm an EE major, but I'm a freshman so I haven't even taken an EE class yet
tongue.gif
. I know a lot about electronics, but I probably won't know what each component of the DAC is doing. In other words, I could blindly build it, but I'm not sure I could follow what is going on.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 17
There is actually some very good concise documentation with regards to the γ1 and γ2 DAC's, both available at the designer's website. See γ1 and γ2. They even have "Instructions" pages.

Much of the functionality of DAC's are consecrated to IC's for a number of reasons. The two most prevalent that I've heard of are that it allows for extremely precise component matching which is impractical or impossible at a discrete level, and that a lot of the components of DAC's are otherwise fairly complicated circuits. However, because most of the functionality ends up on IC's, it's fairly doable to trace the high level functionality of DAC's that use them.

Your best bet at learning about these DAC's in particular is under the "Schematic" pages of the respective websites. Past midway through the page, there's a veritable "Skeleton Bones" song of the components in the DAC.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 17
I just finished my Gamma 2 build over the holidays. It sounds pretty good to my old ears! Took me maybe three half-days, after spending a few hours ordering all the stuff, which took about a week to arrive.

I thought it looked complicated at first, too. I printed out all the website stuff, carried it around for a couple of weeks, reading when I could, as I waited for the parts to arrive. Helped me get my head around all the options.

The SMD soldering is intimidating at first, but I was able to do it with minimal difficulty, even with my twitchy hands.

There's also two active build threads here where people are very helpful.

You do essentially build and test the Gamma 1 first, which gives you a complete DAC (I went for the y1++), which you can then start using right away. If cash or time get short, you can add the y2 later.

Good luck, let us know what you decide ...

Dave

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #13 of 17
If you have some experience soldering then you should give the gamma1 a go.
Everything you need is on AMB's website.
AMB, Cavalli Audio, Pete Millet's pages, ect, ect are all extremely well documented and most projects have step by step instructions so you shouldn't have a problem.

The TPA stuff is also good, especially if you want to have to do the minimum amount of board assembly (casing is a different manner and this is where the gamma1/2 win out).
Keep in mind you do pay a bit extra for this.

Btw, a "cheap" practice project with some smd work that is hard to mess up is the mini3. You can even get complete kits for it from GJA.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by trumbldw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished my Gamma 2 build over the holidays. It sounds pretty good to my old ears! Took me maybe three half-days, after spending a few hours ordering all the stuff, which took about a week to arrive.

I thought it looked complicated at first, too. I printed out all the website stuff, carried it around for a couple of weeks, reading when I could, as I waited for the parts to arrive. Helped me get my head around all the options.

The SMD soldering is intimidating at first, but I was able to do it with minimal difficulty, even with my twitchy hands.

There's also two active build threads here where people are very helpful.

You do essentially build and test the Gamma 1 first, which gives you a complete DAC (I went for the y1++), which you can then start using right away. If cash or time get short, you can add the y2 later.

Good luck, let us know what you decide ...

Dave

Wow that's really encouraging. I guess for a noob like me it might take longer, but still I was thinking months as opposed to days
redface.gif
. I might just go for it then. So let me get it straight, it's roughly $250 for both y1 and y2?

As of right now I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger, just one more thing. Should I look into one of the other DIY options? It seems like there aren't a whole lot of comparisons between these DAC's. Anyone know if one is better/different sounding than the others?

@ fault151: You said the twisted pear was "more to your tastes", how so? Building or sound? Why is that?

As always, thanks a lot for the help. Without these forums I'd probably have a Xonar STX. From what I've read so far, any of these DAC's will be a big step up from even that. I always appreciate getting (a heck of a lot) more for my money
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

So let me get it straight, it's roughly $250 for both y1 and y2?

I recently priced out the cost of building a y2 and it was very close to $250 (excluding shipping) including the machined panels from AMB's site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back