DIY DAC that has optical input?
Jul 19, 2006 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jrtmx

New Head-Fier
Hello, I recently got a laptop that has a 1/8" SPDIF output that I would like to use, but all I can find are USB DACs. is it possible to buy a USB DAC kit and modify the USB part to be an optical input instead? Or, did I miss any DIY DACs with an optical input?
blink.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Seriously dude, optical has far more jitter than a proper 75-ohm S/PDIF connection. The problem is that the transmitter and receiver optical devices produce tons of jitter. Jocko at diyhifi and diyaudio has discussed this a number of times and has measurements (he's the RF expect at his engineering lab). Use coaxial cable with BNC connections, and even better, use a pulse transformer on at least the DAC side.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 12
Even without proper termination the coax is the better option. But as surgery on the laptop is most likely out of the question it probably best to stick with optical.

Infact why not go the USB route? As you said there are plenty out there.

Jul 20, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ats314
this takes an optical input right? what is the output? 3.5mm?

could i hook my xbox360 up to this and output out to some senn595's?

Just by staring at the pretty pictures, looks like the output is whatever type of jack you want to solder to it (3.5mm, RCA, etc.). I guess you could output direct to your Senns, but I speculate it's a line level output... to get a decent volume you'd probably want a headphone amplifier between them and this.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Oh forgot to answer part of the original question. Yes an optical jack is very easy to solder inplace of a coax. You typically have to remove 1 or 2 resistors, add an inductor, a small capacitor, the optical unit, and also get a 3.3V power line from somewhere inside the case over to the optical unit.

Jul 24, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2
I had no idea if it was a decent DAC or not

It sounds better then the analog out from my EMU 1212M.
But that is not all that hard so.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX

It sounds better then the analog out from my EMU 1212M.
But that is not all that hard so.....
smily_headphones1.gif

I Do you think it would be a worthwhile kit? and what case do you have it installed in?

what is the difference between the mini and this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-TDA1543-...QQcmdZViewItem
Also, I can't seem to see what inputs this one has, althought there is an optional coax and optical input kit.

How did you buy the mini kit? I don't see any more in ebay. I'd like a DAC that I can build that would be better than the DACs on my X-Fi Xtreme music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back